Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:35 AM   #1

I can pick one of these up quite cheap in the UK (£50.00).

I already have a Sigma 28-135 f3.8-5.6 Macro which is not as good as the Pentax DA18-55mm/Pentax DA 50-200mm.

From those of you that have this lens, could you comment upon it's performance in relationship to the DA lens.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:59 AM   #2

Hi Catbells

I have Not used my Kit lense in so long(At least 1Year) I cannot really comment on One Verse the other. This I can tell you, the main reason I got the FA 28-105 was Strictly I wanted More Range either high or low. This lead to Less Lense changing. And that was the Ultimate Goal. I researched it and read nothing but good reports about It. So i purchased the Lense
I am very happy with the lense. Its Sharp and Contrasty and in my eyes colors are Great.

Hope this helps

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:59 AM   #3

I used to have the lens and quite like it. I used it with my kit lens and tamron 70-300. The reason I sold it is partly because of its silver color (prefer black) and on some occasions AF will not lock (there was a thread on dpreview talking about this issue just a few days ago, so I wasn't imagining things). Apart from that, it is a very good lens, light, nice color repoduction and bokeh isn't bad too.

cheers,
Kenny

kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:09 AM   #4

Hi Catbells,

I have one of these and like the lens. IMO it's better optically than either of the f4-5.6 versions, the non-PZ one being a rebadged Tamron with added SMC from what I've heard.

The only negative I've read about is that a few DS users claim that AF hunts excessively. This seems to be due to some looseness in the focusing mechanism, and can be worked around by adding a strip of double-sided velcro to add a tiny bit of friction to the focusing ring (or possibly have it adjusted by a good lens tech). I have not had this trouble with mine, and have used it pretty extensively, so I don't think it's a matter of wear. D, DL, and K100D users haven't had any such problems.

My take is that it's a great, small, light, sharp, reasonably fast lens -- and if you've got use for the FL range, it is as a very good walk-around lens.

And the price is better than reasonable -- since it was discontinued, it has sold on ebay for from $150-175 USD in the past 9 months.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:11 AM   #5

I have the older version, the power zoom FA f/4-5.6 version and it is very sharp, has great contrast and color and does not hunt for focus. The AF does not work on the digital SLR's but it is a great lens for not much money.

There are three versions of this lens and the second non power zoom version is not a very good lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6

Here is an example I took five minutes ago with the 28-105 FA f/4-5.6 Power Zoom.

Tom
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:19 PM   #7

kjao wrote:
Quote:
I used to have the lens and quite like it. I used it with my kit lens and Tamron 70-300. The reason I sold it is partly because of its silver color (prefer black) and on some occasions AF will not lock (there was a thread on dpreview talking about this issue just a few days ago, so I wasn't imagining things). Apart from that, it is a very good lens, light, nice color reproduction and bokeh isn't bad too.
Thanks for the info, I checked out the thread at DP Review http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...fa+28&qf=m

& it appears that a lot of DS users have this problem particularly at the top end of the focal length - guess I'll steer clear of this lens as I don't want to rely on manual focus.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:34 PM   #8

The example above was done using AF and it did not hunt at all to find the focus point.

Tom
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:36 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
The example above was done using AF and it did not hunt at all to find the focus point.
Was that because it was the older version?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:04 PM   #10

I think that is the case as it was my walk around lens of choice the my PZ-1 and I have lots of 16"x20" prints for this lens that are sharp no matter how close you are to the photo.

I have no idea how this lens got some kind of bad rap, but mine has served me well for years now and still does with my DS. I have never used the new version, but have used the middle version, the IF lens and it is not very sharp.

I use it for a walk around lens much of the time, but do use my FA* 28-70mm f/2.8 if I need the extra stops and it also is a sharper lens, but very expensive to buy used.

smc PENTAX-FA 28mm-105mm F4-F5.6 PowerZoom which does not work with this link since Pentax has removed it from its site.

smc PENTAX-FA 28mm-105mm F4-F5.6 [IF]

smc PENTAX-FA 28mm-105mm F3.2-F4.5 AL [IF]

Tom