Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:24 PM   #1

Hello (excuse my poor english)

I'm thinking about buying a very good bridge (like the Lumix FZ50), or a low-price SLR, like the Pentax K100D.

I might choose the SLR because I think that the image quality (because of the bigger sensor) is always better if equipped with a good lens (am I right ?), and also because I imagine that in 4-5 years, I would probably need to buy a newer camera (maybe a15 MP, with a lot of exciting new features, …) and would then be happy to re-use my lens… I have the feeling that the life of digital cameras has become shorter each year…

However, I'm really not sure that I will need several lenses (I've had 2 Canon SLR, with film, for years, and never bought any lens to complete the starter kit), taking pictures is just a hobby.

So if I buy only one lens to go with the K100D, of course a zoom going from wide to tele, which one should I choose (budget about 350 euro) ? Why ?
Thank you for your advices

Franckpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:20 PM   #2

welcome to the forum,
many beginners and veterans purchase the pentax da 50-200mm to compliment the kit lens. from what i've seen , it's an outstanding lens..

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3

Hi Franckpixel,
I ended up here on the forum a month ago through a similar path. I was researching a new Pansonic FZ ultrazoom for my wife for our anniversary and I became interested in the low priced *ist DL as an alternative. This morphed into a K100d which I have owned for just over two weeks now.

I can't help you with a single lens, I am already up to six with two more on the way. I can tell you that the Pentax is allowing me to take pictures I never could have taken with my older Panasonic FZ1 (even putting aside the megapixels). I am sure we will always have a point and shoot digital but we will not be without a DSLR again either.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get lenses that will give you good results. The main ones I use are the Pentax 18-55 and 50-200, both of which produce nice sharp prints. I have enjoyed the heck out of the Sigma 28-80 macro zoom which only ran me $25 shipped off ebay and I have had good (not outstanding yet) results from a Tamron 70-300 zoom which only cost $75 or so shipped.

If you choose the K100 I believe you will be very happy. Good luck with your decision.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

Not sure where you live but if, as in Australia, they don't offer the Pentax DA lenses as part ofa kit you may want to look at the Sigma 18-125mm. The range is very handy and I've seen a few posts on here that it is superior in quality to the standard Sigma 18-55mm lens.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

I'd recommend either Pentax DA 50-200mm for long tele or Pentax DA 16-45mm for landscape. Both are proven high quality lens and should be around your budget. Otherwise, Sigma 17-70 is a good alternative for walk around lens. Stay away with other Sigma lens. They are not worth your trouble and money. I have Sigma 24-135 and it's just an OK lens PQ wise and I got the dreaded menu closing issue.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:03 AM   #6

I do own a low end zoom FA j 75-300mm. It is inexpensive at around $130 new. Performance is decent until you zoom above 200mm. At the extreme end of 300mm you have to have enough light and at least above F8. It is less contrasty but cost wise give you good bang for the buck. It has a very high magnification ratio of 0.3 . Mind you that is very good when compared with a figure 0.5 of some of the dedicated macro like Pentax 100mm F4.
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/64949144/original
The pict is huge to let you judge its limit or merit.

Daniel

Franckpixel wrote:
Quote:
Hello (excuse my poor english)

I'm thinking about buying a very good bridge (like the Lumix FZ50), or a low-price SLR, like the Pentax K100D.

I might choose the SLR because I think that the image quality (because of the bigger sensor) is always better if equipped with a good lens (am I right ?), and also because I imagine that in 4-5 years, I would probably need to buy a newer camera (maybe a15 MP, with a lot of exciting new features, …) and would then be happy to re-use my lens… I have the feeling that the life of digital cameras has become shorter each year…

However, I'm really not sure that I will need several lenses (I've had 2 Canon SLR, with film, for years, and never bought any lens to complete the starter kit), taking pictures is just a hobby.

So if I buy only one lens to go with the K100D, of course a zoom going from wide to tele, which one should I choose (budget about 350 euro) ? Why ?
Thank you for your advices
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote