Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:54 PM   #1

The train is getting ready to leave the station. Today is our 25th wedding anniversary and my parents presented us with a $500 check last night at dinner. I convinced my wife to let me buy her a K100D for our anniversary. (Maybe she'll let me use it???) Now all I need to do is get one in her hands and, of course, there aren't any in El Paso, TX. CC has the *istDL (for list price!) but the SR of the K100D is a must-have.

We're heading off to Las Vegas for the weekend. Perhaps one might be found in a store on the Strip? We'll see.

BTW - I bid on a 70-210 Vivitar with an aperture lock (and no autofocus, of course). Won the auction for $6.95. Add the $10 shipping and a zoom lens doesn't get much cheaper than that. This doesn't look like a "series 1" so I'm sure the performance will be pretty...umm..."rough"; I guess that word might apply. But as another member opined: It will get me into the game and I can see what I might want for decent primes down the road.

(No; we don't gamble, so the $500 is safe. )
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

that's a really nice thing you are doing for the lady... might as well get a FA*300mm to start her out on also.

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:04 PM   #3

While I cannot Help you with info On camera Stores in Vegas. I just thought I would Send My Congrats to you and your wife on the 25th Anniversery.
I'm right behind you. Our 25th Is next July

Again Congrats and Many more

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:42 PM   #4

jan. 1st would have been ours...........
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:13 PM   #5

Congratulations on 25 years! Maybe I'll buy myself a K100D in honor of your anniversary. :lol:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:55 PM   #6

Dear Macguy:

First, congratulations on your anniversary.

Second, if you are not set on buying the camera at a store, but are willing to shop online, Butterfly Photo has the K100D with the kit lens for $595 with free shipping. Beach/BuyDig has it for $599, with free shipping. The prices have really come down in the last couple of weeks.

I bought my DLfrom Butterfly in July and got it in 4 days. If you are looking at the body only, which I think you are based on your lens purchase, the price is $579 at either place. I think for $20 you should get the kit lens. I've seen them selling on e-bay for $70-90 bucks, so you could even recoup some of your purchase price and come inpretty close to that $500 check.

Good luck and have fun in Vegas.

lenkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:17 PM   #7

congrats on your anniversary

i bailed out on mine
but now i can afford my own camera
LOL

fingers crossed that she lets you use it

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:17 PM   #8

congrats on your anniversary

i bailed out on mine
but now i can afford my own camera
LOL

fingers crossed that she lets you use it

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:51 PM   #9

Congratulations on the anniversary. The K100 is supposed to be my early anniversary (14th) gift to my wife. However, since I am feeling guilty about how much fun I am having with her present, she will probably have to settle for jewelery again.:G

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:20 AM   #10

I'll definitely be buying online. I bought some camcorders from buydig.com over the past few years and am pleased they've reduced their price on the kit to pretty much match the lowest found anywhere.

Slightly OT: When I bought my camcorders, I also bought the Mack Camera extended warranty. One of the units actually did need the extended warranty and, of course, I was sweating when I packed it up and sent it off. Took about 6 weeks (they were really busy they said) but it did come back repaired and has given my son no problems since (and he's a college student so you can imagine how he must treat it).

Thanks to all for your kind wishes; Frankly, I can't figure out where the time has gone. My daughter is getting married next year and I still feel like I'm 19...with bad knees. :lol:
rumplestilts is offline   Reply With Quote