Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:27 PM   #1

You You know, I can't believe how much fun I am having with my (I mean my wife's) camera. I hurry home from work so I can take it out to play. Now I have my wife and kids watching for interesting bugs for me. These were all taken with the Sigma 28-80 1:2 macro.I am certainly getting my $25.00 out of this lens. The first one is a large moth my wife found in somewhat tattered condition hanging out on our screenroom.I am still working on getting my depth of field right. These shots are either resized or cropped or both but otherwise untouched. Thanks for looking.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:35 PM   #2

wow these are amazing. you took this with a lens you got for $25?? fantastic.

questions:

How far away were you from the actual subject? were these all handheld? what flash were you using? i took some scary moth pictures once but they didnt come out anything near as clean and clear as these.

Nice job
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:18 AM   #3

we're in trouble now. a new case of macromania strikes every 5 seconds.. nice shots tim. liked your site as well.

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:40 AM   #4

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
wow these are amazing. you took this with a lens you got for $25?? fantastic.

questions:

How far away were you from the actual subject? were these all handheld? what flash were you using? i took some scary moth pictures once but they didnt come out anything near as clean and clear as these.

Nice job
Thanks ardigitalman, I am having a lot of fun learning. For the moth I had the front edge of the lens about4 to5 inches (10-12cm) away from the focus point. This kept me out of the 1:2 macro but that was as close as I could get without spooking him. For full 1:2 macro the distance is only 2-3 inches. The flash is the built in flash and they are all handheld. I found the easiest thing to do was leave the focus wheel alone and try to adjust focus by moving the camera in and out slightly until I had the focus I wanted.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:44 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
we're in trouble now. a new case of macromania strikes every 5 seconds.. nice shots tim. liked your site as well.

roy
Thanks Roy. I suppose I had an interest in macro even before I bought the camera but it was the many wonderful shots posted here, including yours, that have really given me the "bug" (pun intended). The site right now is just a place to park the pics so I can get them into one post here. I will have to try doing something more ambitious with it at some point though.

Thanks again,

Tim