Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1

I have probably used up my allotment of posts for this week already. I took a few wildlife shots and other shots yesterday and today and I hope you can bear with me if I post the best of them. According to my camera we have taken 900 shots in the last two weeks. If this was a film camera I would still be on the first roll.

This is the thief that has been stealing the avocados off of my tree (Tamron 70-300 LD):

I don't know exactly what kind of bird this is but he was kind enough to pose. I know I cut him off at the knees in the first shot but aside from that I was very happy with it. (Pentax 50-200)

I titled this "Tiger on the beach."

This last shot is only to show my experience with the SR feature of the K100d. It (and the picture above) were taken with the cheap Sigma 28-80. The below picture was taken at 1/10 shutter speed (by a complete noob). Obviously my son moved during the picture (you try to keep a seven year old still) but look how sharp all the stationary objects are. I gotta say that SR is sure working for me.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:20 AM   #2

nice shots. is that an ibis??
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:15 PM   #3

Great shots. Liked the Sandhill Crane the best, very detailed. The SR on the K100d is a great feature, can not wait to prchase mine.

Greatgreyowl/Brad
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:30 PM   #4

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
According to my camera we have taken 900 shots in the last two weeks.

you will slow down eventually. i just topped 10,000 today. it was a little upsetting to see that extra folder on the card..

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:37 PM   #5

Thanks Roy and Brad,

I did not know what kind of bird he was but a little bit of googling confirms that it was a Sandhill Crane. Interestingly, I didget a number of shots of a bird that turned out to be a white Ibis the same day, but none of them were as close as the crane. There were other long legged birds in the marshes that day that I did not post that I also can't identify. I am starting to see many similarities between photography and target shooting. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys.

Tim

Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6

target shooting?? it's very similar.. technique is the answer to both. i use to reload and shoot several hand guns. loved my thomson 14''. it's a shame that ebay doesn't let you sell firearms online.. yes, i know why..

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:16 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
it's a shame that ebay doesn't let you sell firearms online.. yes, i know why..

roy
But that created a market vacuum which was filled by:

www.auctionarms.com
www.bluebroker.com
www.gunsamerica.com
and www.gunbroker.com

Still need a friendly FFL on your end though.
Tim
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:39 PM   #8

no FFL and no plans to acquire one.. i like shooting the cam a whole lot better.. it's cheaper also.
also, if i don't like the spread, i just change it.. hehe

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:46 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
...I am starting to see many similarities between photography and target shooting. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys.

Tim

I read a post on some board making the same comparison and carrying it furtherapplying the Marine Corps B.R.A.S.S. method of shooting over to photography.

Quote:
Breathe, Relax, Aim, SLACK, Squeeze
  • I believe that "slack" would be the same as depressing the shutter release halfway for focus. Nonetheless, a simple way to remember simple steps for good photos. :-)
  • Edit: My list formatting that showed in the preview disappeared in the post. Hopefully the new quote is understandable.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote