Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:44 AM   #1

Is there any truth to the reviewers, and a few users, statements that the K100D white balance is less than accurate requiring constant tweaking? Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
Is there any truth to the reviewers, and a few users, statements that the K100D white balance is less than accurate requiring constant tweaking? Thanks.
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

Also, do note that "the whiter is better" logic sometimes does not apply if the photographer want to preserve the true atmostsphere of the scene. To me, I do believe that "the closer to what our eyes were seeing" is better. But then there have never been any measurbators on this planet have successfully conducted such tests. Well, actually, I would say they have no intention of doing such that owing to either they are not capable to conduct such test or they are bounded too much by the concept "the whiter is better for the AWB"!

IMHO, I have never seen a white balance test on the net or in any magazine which is truly professional! (neither mine as I have not conducted any "formal" WB test) That's why all those "reviewers" can just be called "reviewers" at the end and that the word "review" is actually self-explanatory - which means, to certain extent, for laymen's user comments and opinions.

Afterall, I do firmly believe that only professional lab testers who know how to carry out the test in a calibration lab according to industrial standards can know if a camera's WB is truely faithful or not. They use calibrated light source, accurate color testing target plus calibrated chromameter (colormeter) and carry out all measurement in a darkroom. These labs and people can be found at engineering departments of large camera manufacturers, but not on the net or at the magazines!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:12 AM   #3

It has issues with indoor shoting (yellow casting) but this is common on every other digital cameras I owned. You can manually select WB mode fitfor your indoor lighting and it will work fine. I shot in RAW mode exclusively so WB/AWB is not an issue at all because you can easily adjust them in RAW converter.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:22 AM   #4

it is not a major issue at all. You would need manual WB ONLY in the event of indoor and no flash shot. You can set manual and SPOT spot WB setting (not in DL) for mixed indoor light like part tunsten and part flurescent . These are difficult lighting situation for any digicam anyway. Film is a lot better though. No autoWB of any digicam can handle those difficult situation.

Daniel

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:51 AM   #5

shoot in raw and don't worry about it.

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6

Hi pboerger,

IMO this is probably the least important "issue" when considering a digital camera. There is no perfect AWB -- can't be -- Show me a camera whose AWB works for tungsten lighting, and I'll show you a camera that won't reproduce the "golden glow" of setting sun lighting. Any color cast can be corrected in camera -- manual WB shows that there is enough correction available -- yet there are no cameras that will give you a perfect white in tungsten lighting, except when you set WB manually.

Manual WB will give you "white" in any lighting. RAW makes WB irrelevant. PP can negate any WB errors if you shoot in jpeg -- but you probably wouldn't if WB is such a priority. There are enough cures and work-arounds that this is really a non-issue. I suggest you find something else to focus on.

Sorry. but this is kind of a pet peeve. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

Thanks folks. It really isn't the issue it's made out to be.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote