Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1

I'm about ready to pick up a DA 50-200mm lens (gotta get in there before the rebate ends!) but the most reputable places seem to all be in New York State... as am I. Since I'm not real keen on the idea of paying sales tax when buying stuff online (even though you're supposed to according to NYS rules, but that's a whole different topic), I'm trying to find somewhere good to pick up one.

Adorama has it for $225 and I think BH has it for $230. Beach and Buydig don't have it. (Have they ever?) It looks like my main option at the moment is Amazon, who have it for $240. Dell also has it for cheap but I refuse to buy from them.

Is there anywhere else that's reputable, an official dealer, not in NYS, and has it for $225-230?

Thanks!

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:39 PM   #2

I found out that for lens, most time you use Amazon, it actually goes to Adorama store front. So you're not likely save tax there either.

How about OneCall.com? Very reputable vendor and as far as I know does not locate in NY.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:34 PM   #3

I don't think I ever even looked at their site before... thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, they're getting $250 for the lens.

As far as Amazon - in this case, it is actually stocked and sold by Amazon directly, not Adorama. (And they just sold one - they had three in stock a few hours ago and are down to two now. )

They also have free shipping. At Adorama, it looks like I'm up to $252 including shipping and tax... looks like I might have to just grab it from Amazon.

Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

In New York State, it's not just a sales tax, it's a sales and use tax. This entitles the state to tax you for using a new item bought elsewhere. And it entitles me to get a 25% finder's fee for turning you in. Thank you very much. :-)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:47 PM   #5

In New York State, it's not just a sales tax, it's a sales and use tax. This entitles the state to tax you for using a new item bought elsewhere. And it entitles me to get a 25% finder's fee for turning you in. Thank you very much. :-)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:22 PM   #6

There's not a jury in the world that would convict me! :blah:

I did end up ordering from Amazon... I was afraid that they might get really hard to find in the next month, and with the free shipping, it was pretty comparable to BH or Adorama's price even without tax.

Now comes the waiting.........