Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:16 PM   #21

ira, i think he had about a 1/1000sec to react...

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:06 PM   #22

Gadgetnut, I currently use the Pentax DL and also have the Minolta Z1. I have used both for shooting my son's sports. The Z1 did a nice job but any DSLR is going to out perform it. The lack of shutter lag isa bigfactor, I feel, for this. The auto-focus on my DL is more accurate than the Z1 and hunts less. I posted a rugby shot in this thread in so-so lighting with the action coming at me. It won't make the sports page but shows that Pentax can be used for action.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:41 PM   #23

Foxbat121 wrote:
Quote:
For those care about the actual AF numbers, here is what I remembered from certified test of Samsung GX-1S (Pentax DS2 clone) and Canon 30D from Pop Photo:

Pentax: from less than 0.5 second in good lighting to more than 2 seconds in low light.

Canon: around 0.5 second through out the different lighting conditions.
And another thing to consider. Measurements were taken for Pentax DS2 clone. Users report that the biggest difference between Pentax K100D and DS AF systems is speed in low light. Where DS struggles, K100D focuses quite easily.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:02 PM   #24

Yeah, forgot to mention that K100D AF is faster than ist D/DS/DL. However, from the user review I read, it is only slightly faster. At extreme low light, it still takes about 2 second to focus.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:03 PM   #25

Regarding continuous shooting, my DS can do 9 jpegs or 5 raw in a burst before filling the buffer. Sounds like the DS has a larger buffer than the K100D, which is something I wasn't aware of. The burst rate on the DS is quite fast, but if it tries to auto focus between each shot, it will slow things down.

The older DS may fill your needs quite nicely if you can find one.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:54 AM   #26

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Gadgetnut, I currently use the Pentax DL and also have the Minolta Z1. I have used both for shooting my son's sports. The Z1 did a nice job but any DSLR is going to out perform it. The lack of shutter lag isa bigfactor, I feel, for this. The auto-focus on my DL is more accurate than the Z1 and hunts less. I posted a rugby shot in this thread in so-so lighting with the action coming at me. It won't make the sports page but shows that Pentax can be used for action.
I'm really glad you posted that. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! You've used the Minolta Z1, so you know what type of shots are possible with it. I've gotten some great football pics with it as well as some great pics of airplanes flying in an air show. I don't know how the Pentax DL and the K100D compare to one another, but I'm sure I can expect to be equally as happy. I love that rugby shot.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:11 AM   #27

I shoot sports. My ist DS just could not keep up with the pace of the game. I shoot for both timing and with anticipation but oft times I like to shoot sequence shots.

The small buffer just doesn't cut it. The Pentax is just not a fast action sports camera in comparison to what I get with the "N" camera I have. I am coaching HS soccer and enjoy using the "N" camera much more than I can with my DS when it comes to shooting the game.

Great sports shots can be had with the DS but due to the small buffer I miss many shots and can't devote the whole game to just photography.

The K100D does focus faster but I never bothered to try shooting a game with it since I am getting what I want with my "N" camera.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:17 PM   #28

Theese were shot with ist DL . I have not had a problem shooting sports however, I am not a good photographer and really not good at sports photography. But......they satisfy me just fine.

BamaLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:25 PM   #29

BamaLouie wrote:
Quote:
Theese were shot with ist DL . I have not had a problem shooting sports however, I am not a good photographer and really not good at sports photography. But......they satisfy me just fine.
Those look great to me!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:05 AM   #30

My response was not about the quality of the shots that the Pentax can produce. I find the Pentax capable in capturing some excellent sports moments.

The problem for meare that many are missed due to the small buffer.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote