Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:39 AM   #31

Can I summerize what you said.
Pentax is not the best choice for sport photography because of the buffer size restriction. Quality wise it is just as good. Point taken. You know we have a lot of Pentax fans here.

Daniel
I added the key word 'not' in this revision

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
My response was not about the quality of the shots that the Pentax can produce. I find the Pentax capable in capturing some excellent sports moments.

The problem for meare that many are missed due to the small buffer.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #32

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
My response was not about the quality of the shots that the Pentax can produce. I find the Pentax capable in capturing some excellent sports moments.

Yes, the DS is slower, but at a sustained 1.2fps it is still decent for sports where you can see where the action is going.The problem is that Pentax went with a smaller buffer for the DL and K100D which may not sustain that rate (can't say, haven't seen a test or tried to time it myself).

If you use manual focus, continuous mode and follow the action closely you may get some excellent results but you cannot just point a hold the shutter release down like you can in some other cameras. 40 frames in 30 seconds for the DS compared to 69 frames for a Nikon D70 or 90 for the new D80, by comparison an Olympus E-500 will only capture 29 frames at HQ setting in the same 30 seconds but the entry level champ is the Niko D50 at 72 frames in 30 seconds. These numbers come from the pixel peepers favourite site, dpreview, if you want quantitative data they deliver. The problem is that they seem to have missed the fact that Pentax has marketed any other camera since the DS and so have not tested any. I therefore am not certain, the *istD had a similar buffer size to the DL and only managed 21 frames in 30 seconds but this is just speculation based on two different cameras.

I agree that if you are a sports photographer you need the faster rate but if you occasionally shoot sports, just manually focus and shoot in carefully thought out bursts you will have far more success with any Pentax DSLR than you will with a p&s. After all most point and shoot cameras will stop and clear their buffer at the end of a burst, a DSLR will just slow down (except, strangely, the new Canon 400D which will shoot a whopping 61 frames in 30 seconds, but apparently will shoot in bursts, stopping briefly in between after the initial 35 frames fill the buffer).

I don't shoot sports as a rule, and I don't make much use of the continuous shooting mode. I have only presented these numbers to give the relative speeds of the major players.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:47 PM   #33

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I agree that if you are a sports photographer you need the faster rate but if you occasionally shoot sports, just manually focus and shoot in carefully thought out bursts you will have far more success with any Pentax DSLR than you will with a p&s.
That pretty-much sums up where I am with this whole thing. I know that there are many DSLR cameras out there that can out perform the K100D, but not at it's price.

The K100D either looks mediocre or phenomenal, depending on what you compare it to. Here's what I mean: If you compare the K100D to a Nikon D70 or a Sony Alpha 100, it's going to come up short in many respects. BUT, those cameras cost hundreds of dollars more.

If you compare it to many of the prosumer P&S models that cost about the same (or even more), it blows them away with relative ease.

I have chosen the K100D to be my next camera because it takes great pictures and has all the features I want. And it does it all for a great price. As I said earlier, as long as it outperforms my current P&S, I'll be thrilled because I've been able to do OK with it.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:19 PM   #34

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Can I summerize what you said.
Pentax is the best choice for sport photography because of the buffer size restriction. Quality wise it is just as good. Point taken. You know we have a lot of Pentax fans here.

Daniel

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:

Pentax is my preferred camera but not for shooting "Soccer". For my needs I went with a different camera.

I still use my Pentax for just about everything else.

Pentax is by far the best camera in its price range and can produce great images comparble to the higher end dSLR and in some instances in the capable hands of knowledgable members here surpass it. I am in no way saying that it is aninferior camera for any kind of shooting and never brought up anything about a P&S. Totally different so it is a moot point as a comparison as far as I am concerned.

Soccer is not an easy sport to shoot and one member here shoots the sport regularly with his DS and captures some great moments.

I posted some DS soccer shots as well of my cousin playing sometime last year using the Tamron 70-300mm LD 1:2 Macro.

Ira I did try manual focus shooting but the pace of the game of soccer makes it impossible to even get close to the number of shots I can get with my other camera.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:22 AM   #35

I can agree with vIznquest about soccer and missed shots. I shot about 120 today and about 1/3 were focused on target and caught in frame. This was my first attempt at this and it was an ugly morning.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_edited-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1_edited-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...7_edited-1.jpg
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:05 PM   #36

You gave me some idea and I went for a local soccer game

As you can see the lighting condition was good.
Taken with K100D & A300mmF4
The wastage is not as bad as my macro shots which , to me maybe, happens to be more challenging.

Daniel

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong

Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:21 PM   #37

Quote:
great. do birds count for action??? http://www.texasbostons.com/birdsofafeather/index.html
I particularly like #14 of 24
Full Flaps
Gear Down
Flatten Out!!!!!!!!!
Port Wing Tip UP UP UP!!!!!
Wave OFF - Go Around!!!!
What do you mean "wave off" - LSO
Comming in anyway!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:36 PM   #38

Hey Daniel,

I love this shot, it perfectly captures the look of concentation on several of the kids faces. It is almost like you are reading their minds.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:42 PM   #39

Hi IRA,

What lens did u use for this hockey picture?

Thanks,

Jeff
hornmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:47 PM   #40

Great action shot and expressions.

Here is a series I posted in the sports section using my preferred camera for soccer shots.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=599088
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote