Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1

I am a couple of weeks out from ordering the K100D according to the household Chancelor of the Exchequer and I am looking at the last several areas. (I have to travel next week anyway, so if I ordered any earlier - I would not be able to play till I returned.)

Main interests are wide angle stitched landscapes and interiors of large buildings (churches, etc) (verticle and horizontal) along with with HDR and the combination of both. Not interest in fisheye at all

1) Since the unit does not store in JPG+RAW - If the images are stored in RAW format, can the supplied Pentax software, batch process them into JPG automatically (equivalent to the "in-camera" processing)? I am thinking of using RAW and then having the s/w convert everything in batch to JPG for review & storage, then going back and spending some time on the RAW worthwild ones.

2) This question is about HDR imaging - I was looking at the online manual - Does the K100D have an option to shoot, say 3 images in a row varying the aperature? or would I have to shoot 3 images manually varying the aperature by hand to have a reasonable range of images to use for HDR processing?

3A) Initially I was looking at the 2 lens kit (18-55 & 50-200), however I was wondering if it would be better to save the approximate $100 on the 18-55 and put it towards the 16-45 wide angle lens instead? The 18-55 is faster at f3.5 as opposed to the 16-45 at f4. For the longer lense, I was going with the 50-200 in any event. Also, the 16-45 would have a small gap in coverage, which I don't believe should present any problem.

3B) Go with the 2 lens kit and then wait and find a good wide angle prime lens.

3C) Go with the 2 lens kit and supplement with, say the Zenitar 16mm that appears to be cost effective which would be around $100 more.

4) Or are there better suggestions out there?

Overall I do not have a strict budget but looking to bring it in INITIALLY at $900~$1,200.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
1) Since the unit does not store in JPG+RAW - If the images are stored in RAW format, can the supplied Pentax software, batch process them into JPG automatically (equivalent to the "in-camera" processing)? I am thinking of using RAW and then having the s/w convert everything in batch to JPG for review & storage, then going back and spending some time on the RAW worthwild ones.
Quote:
> Yes, the Pentax software extracts the jpeg from raw very quickly. You can select all the raw photos you want, then right click and select Extract Jpeg. It's very quick.

2) This question is about HDR imaging - I was looking at the online manual - Does the K100D have an option to shoot, say 3 images in a row varying the aperature? or would I have to shoot 3 images manually varying the aperature by hand to have a reasonable range of images to use for HDR processing?
Quote:
> Yes, it has bracketing which will shoot 3 shots in succession at different exposures. I tried using it once and it worked fine, except I never followed through with the post processing. I don't have any HDR software (suggestions??). I was just going to do it with layers in PSE3.

3A) Initially I was looking at the 2 lens kit (18-55 & 50-200), however I was wondering if it would be better to save the approximate $100 on the 18-55 and put it towards the 16-45 wide angle lens instead? The 18-55 is faster at f3.5 as opposed to the 16-45 at f4. For the longer lense, I was going with the 50-200 in any event. Also, the 16-45 would have a small gap in coverage, which I don't believe should present any problem.

3B) Go with the 2 lens kit and then wait and find a good wide angle prime lens.
Quote:
> That's my suggestion. Both lenses are nice, and when bought in the kit, you save a good bit of money. Might as well take them up on their generosity. You'll spend plenty more on lenses in the future.

3C) Go with the 2 lens kit and supplement with, say the Zenitar 16mm that appears to be cost effective which would be around $100 more.

4) Or are there better suggestions out there?

Overall I do not have a strict budget but looking to bring it in INITIALLY at $900~$1,200.
Quote:
> Didn't notice if you're in the US or not. In the US, you shouldn't have a problem getting in under budget. However, I suspect you're not in the US as I don't know of a 2 lens kit in the US. Therefore, I can't say how you'll do on budget. Pentax seems to be a value leader, though.

Good luck!

Russ
Quote:
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3

If the two lens kit with the 50-200 lens is available to you I would recommend getting it. The 50-200 thus far has shown itself to be one of the better lenses I have purchased. I don't know if there is a two lens kit that lets you drop the 18-55 and just get the 50-200. I don't know anything about the 16-45 lens, sorry, so I can't give you a comparison. I have no complaints with the 18-55 but it tends to be a lens I don't use much as I am generally either trying macro shooting or long range zoom shooting.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4

I am in Arizona, and I have found a 2 lens kit with body for $800 (which will make my wife happy as she is thinking that is going to be an expensive hobby). The news on questions 1 and 2 is very good, better than I expected - but I had made my mind up on Pentax quit a while ago, so this just makes a good thing, better. Icing on the cake.

On the lens front, I am tilting towards going with the 2 lenses and then seeing what happens. I have not been able to find any reviews of the 16-45 lens - maybe I am just looking in all the wrong places.

Just found out today that I'll probably have an opportunity to deploy on a Carrier Strike Group for a couple of weeks with a full Air Wing. Thinking of the shots I might be able to take from Vulture's Roost.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote