Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:44 PM   #11

Question is, is there anything else in this firmware they are not announcing - maybe a better jpeg algorithm or something like that...

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:53 PM   #12

I have the DL, just updated the firmware successfully. Shows v1.02 now. I'll have to play around and take some pics before I could say if there was any major difference between the old firmware and the new.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:28 PM   #13

SD card problem. Just got some 2Gb cards for my DL2, and they don't work!

Well they sort of work. RAW suggests 177 shots. 1 card took 130, the other 56 before saying "Image not stored" and refusing to show anything in the LCD screen, saying "No Image"

So I downloaded the firmware update, and installed it, and lo and behold.... no difference to the cards. I know they are not faulty, as I put them in the card reader and dumped 2GB of data to them no problem.

Anyone know if the DL2 only supports up to 2Gb, or is it because the cards are cheapies. The 1GB ones are the same make and they work fine.

The other half is testing one in her camera, but will take a while as she gets 1600 jpegs!

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:07 PM   #14

I have 1Gb cards, four Lexar Platinums, as well as a Lexar 512Mb and three or four cheapie 256Mb cards. I see no reason to get bigger cards. I agree with Catbells, I don't need the upgrade so I won't bother. I will download the file and keep it on my computer so that I have the option in future, but that may be as far as it will go. If I see proof that the upgrade offers any performance increase that may be of use to me I will upgrade.

Now for an interesting story:

Remember the Canon 300D issue? Canon crippled the camera in firmware. Technically the electronic hardware in the Digital Rebel 300D was the same as the much more expensive 10D model, so Canon crippled the Rebel so that it would not perform as well. Canon never offered a fix but there are hacked third party firmware upgrades the will release the performance existing in the hardware, but at the risk of damaging your camera. It is like sticking a Corvette engine into a Cobalt and then disconnecting half of the plug wires and telling your customers that that is the way it is supposed to be. One day the garage down the street starts reconnecting the plugs and you have hot rod Cobalts everywhere, but if they break the warranty doesn't cover it because those plug wires were not supposed to be connected. Does the analogy work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:16 PM   #15

I thought I read on another forum that some people ended up with dead cameras after the update and some did not. That said, I don't need to use the larger cards, so I will not be updating since my DS is the only digital SLR I have.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:47 PM   #16

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I thought I read on another forum that some people ended up with dead cameras after the update and some did not. That said, I don't need to use the larger cards, so I will not be updating since my DS is the only digital SLR I have.

Tom
As with any kind of firmware update, if you don't do it properly or don't do it in the manner suggested then you could end up with a dead device. I did mine with 2 CRV3 batteries that weren't fresh but still show with full battery on the display and it went fine. I've flashed CDR/DVDR/Motherboard firmwares and bioses so many times over the years that I don't fear it like some. But there is always a risk involved but as long as you don't shut things off in the middle of the update you will not have a problem usually. Only one time did I have a problem with a bios update but my motherboard has a backup feature that will allow me to do a bios update from a floppy if the bios fails so I got lucky there, but it was not because I did anything wrong, the bios file was bad. I don't think people need necessarily be too worried about doing a bios or firmware update. I know you really shouldn't mess with it if it ain't broke. But for me, nothing ventured nothing gained. To each his own though.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:06 PM   #17

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
SD card problem. Just got some 2Gb cards for my DL2, and they don't work!

Well they sort of work. RAW suggests 177 shots. 1 card took 130, the other 56 before saying "Image not stored" and refusing to show anything in the LCD screen, saying "No Image"

So I downloaded the firmware update, and installed it, and lo and behold.... no difference to the cards. I know they are not faulty, as I put them in the card reader and dumped 2GB of data to them no problem.

Anyone know if the DL2 only supports up to 2Gb, or is it because the cards are cheapies. The 1GB ones are the same make and they work fine.

The other half is testing one in her camera, but will take a while as she gets 1600 jpegs!

Darren

The other camera, Kodak Z740, used the 2Gb card and took over 2000 images on it. Loaded onto the computer and one didn't show, all the rest are fine.

Why do I have such problems with the DL2?

Anyone using big cards in a DL2?

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:25 AM   #18

I use 2GB on DL2, it's a cheap fake of Sandisk from ebay. I just shot 150 RAW photos on sunday and they all were fine, and card was almost full.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:27 AM   #19

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom

Make sure you have a fresh set of capable battery. A lot of Ni-Mh rechargeables can't hold their voltage under load and Pentax cameras are very sensitive to battery voltages. So, either Lithium AAs or Lithium CRV3s are recommended.

If you really don't feel comfortable, don't upgrade firmware. There is no guarantee. Even Pentax will generally not offer warranty support if you screw up your camera during firmware upgrade.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote