Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:20 AM   #1

Okay, so I just got a good deal on a pentax DS on ebay. It was in a guy's store behind a glass display, never hardly touched or used at all. It came with the pentax 18-55mm lens. I found it works just perfect. . .* in manual mode. In every other auto preset mode of the camera, the camera only wants to use the shutter speed of 1/4000th... so everything is just black.* When I use the manual modes and set the shutter speed myself, it acts as it should and takes perfectly beautiful pictures as it should. I don't have much of* a problem with that, but sometimes I would like to use the presets, I dont know if I am missing somethin in the menus or what.*I am running firmware 1.1... it came with firmware 1.0,* I attempted to upgrade to firmware 2.00 but oddly the camera would not work correctly after I successfuly applied the update. The menus work fine, but none of the cameras actualy mechanical funcions seem to want to even try to work. Maybe there is a hardware problem here* I need to check, I have no idea. I downgraded to firmware 1.1 for now and it works perfect in manual mode.* If anyone has some sort of easy advice to check what I may be doing wrong, let me know. thanks to all. -steve500
stevey500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:51 AM   #2

1. Remove the batteries and leave for an hour.

2. Go to menu and select "Restore default mode"

3. Make sure lens (if it has one) aperture ring is set to "A"

4. remove lens and check contact cleanliness and place lens back on.

If no fix after that , then return to store ASAP, definately doesn't sound right.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:35 AM   #3

I have a DS and it was very frustrating for the first day or so until I learned how to get the batteries in! The contacts are very sensitive if you are using four cells. Since I have been using CR-V3 batteries there have been no more problems, expensive but they do last a long time.

John

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4

If the camera was in a shop there is no telling what some customer has done with the settings while playing with it. Set everything back to the default settings and then go on from there and you should be just fine.

If it has never been used before, it should be under warranty so send it back to Pentax if the above advice doesn't work.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:26 AM   #5

I third the "reset defaults" advice. When I got my K100d it had quite a few shots that had been taken in the shop that sold it to me. It also seemed to be locked onto ISO 1600. The reset defaults took care of it for me.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:54 PM   #6

Thanks. I have tried resetting defaults but I havent left the batteries out for more than an hour. I received the camera with no batteries installed. What is it inside the camera that senses what the shutter speed should be? I have attempted to clean the contacts on my lens and on the mount, no go. Maybe there is something else I should be looking at, I'm just doing whatever it might take to be able to get this going without having to send it in, it has a 1 year warrenty but here at my highschool we have a lot of events within the few days, and today. I have been taking photos in manual mode and it has not been that bad, i still would love to try out the other modes though. I'll keep trying... I'll shoot in manual for now and wait for any possible fix. After the events here at my school when all the activities die out I will send it in for repair.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:12 PM   #7

Did it work with firmware 1.0?

If so, put it back to how you bought it. The readme file on the DL2 update says that damage caused by updating the firmware is not covered under warranty.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:22 PM   #8

Firmware 1.0 and 1.1 work. Only in manual mode. Any version higher, the menus and everything work, but it wont do anything other then that. at all.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #9

Okay, so I guess my only thing I can do now is send it to pentax for warrenty repair. Has anyone sent their camera in for repair here? I was just curious of how long I should expect it will be till I get it back if I were to ship it monday.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:33 PM   #10

stevey500 wrote:
Quote:
...I downgraded to firmware 1.1 for now and it works perfect in manual mode.� If anyone has some sort of easy advice to check what I may be doing wrong, let me know. thanks to all. -steve500
Steve, may I ask how you managed to downgrade the firmware? I am having siilar problems but my DS worked perfectly in all modes under 1.0, now with 2.01 it's gone looney.
akptc is offline   Reply With Quote