Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:23 AM   #1

Hi Allison,
These are the shots I promised to take with the 500mm long lens. You should probably interpret these as the minimum the lens is capable of. While I use manual focusing on some of my other lenses I kind of rely on the confirmation light and beep. This camera did not provide any feedback with this lens. Also, I was handholding this lens and found it quite difficult to hold steady, in part, I think, because it is so light for its length. I do not believe SR was working as I did not tell the camera what focal length the lens was.

One other thing I noted with this lens is that the controls are mounted upside down! When on the camera, the guide numbers are underneath. I don't know if all of them are this way or if mine slipped through quality control.

First shot is an anhinga, resized but otherwise untouched. Exif should be present in all of these. I had the lens set to f/11.

My take on it, thus far, is that it will be a fun lens to play and it was worth the little money I paid for it. If I get more serious about long telephoto, though, I am sure I will want to upgrade it.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:24 AM   #2

100% crop:

Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:27 AM   #3

100% crop of details closer to the edge of the frame:

Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:28 AM   #4

Planter on my neighbor's porch:

Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:29 AM   #5

100% crop of planter:

Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

what lens??
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 AM   #7

Hi Roy,
Sorry, I thought I put that in there. This one is "Five Star" brand but it is exactly the same as the Phoenix and Opteka 500mm f8 lenses on ebay such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ht6cr

Tim
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the review pics. I was thinking of getting one of those off brand ebay type lense just to play around with but I dont know which one I should get. The pictures dont look that bad, I might pick up one but with a longer zoom just to play with.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:34 PM   #9

The planter one is the best I think, in terms of sharpness definitely but as they were handheld, the bird ones may well have turned out sharper with a tripod. Bit on the dark side but as you said, you were using f11 and just having a play and to me it shows that the lens is capable of more anyway. How bright was it when you took the shots by the way? Was it very sunny?

I'd be interested in seeing some taken at f8 in overcast lighting or f5.6 if it goes that high.

Thanks for posting the images, much appreciated.

Alison.
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:42 PM   #10

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing some taken at f8 in overcast lighting or f5.6 if it goes that high.

Thanks for posting the images, much appreciated.

Alison.
It was a dark and stormy afternoon . . .
OK, I took it out again this afternoon as a storm was rolling in from the west. I tried some shots without any exposure bias and I tried some pumped up to +1.0 I also shot all of these except the dog sitting on the ground with my elbow on my knee. The wind made finding good targets more difficult but I felt I did better with it the second time around. This first one is across the lake, no exposure bias. These are all in f8, as open as this lens goes.
Attached Images