Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:17 AM   #101

RiceHigh, I agree that by viewing the images at 100% only can we be so sure about the true quality. If someone always resize his/her images, then I guess absolute quality like this shouldn't matter to them. (They should go out and enjoy their cameras or dSLRs)

I am glad that you also understand about high ISO performance. They are not so much about the noise, but they are all about the detail retention and crispness. (Since it is usually a natural tendency for the images to become soft at higher ISO)

The Pentax K100D is a great camera and I was actually once interested in it. It is a good thing for it to still retain the 6 mega-pixel CCD chip since that CCD is the one with lower noise and larger photo-detectors than the newer (10 MP) ones.

It won't be long (in my guess) before all the 6 MP dSLRs will be phased out or discontinued only to be replaced by higher mega-pixel counts (dSLRs). (All with similar size sensors)

The current crop of 6 MP dSLRs are valuable IMO. Very soon we won't be able to get them anymore if we ever want them. :shock::O:shock: (Just be sure to get one with a good processor with a strong JPEG engine if you are that type!)

Remember, the lens matters the most.

Regards.

All my 2 cents.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:05 AM   #102

I wonder how did you view your film photos. at 100% it would be 36x24 mm not really much to see :-). but if you made prints why you don't do it with digital? scrolling aroud doesn't make sense for me, would you scroll aroud 16.6MP imagaes from Canon 1dS mk II? it's 4992x3328 pixels, you'd only see colour patches on your monitor and not a whole picture. it's like going to IMAX and standing with your nosepressed to thescreen, can't really see anything (except fine details, but then you wouldn't know what is on the photo)
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:11 AM   #103

Remember when I am buying a dSLR, I am interested to know it's quality. (Image quality)

I know all dSLRs are great, but I want to know which one is the greatest that I can afford. :idea: (In this case: image quality & high ISOs etc...)

When all else has been done, I will never look back again. I will have the confidence that my dSLRcan produce great looking images even at 100% viewing. :-)

That is how my mind works. (I want to make sure that everything is at it's best first, then later on I don't need to think so much about it)

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:33 AM   #104

you didn't answer my question.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:48 AM   #105

Quote:
you didn't answer my question.
What was your question specifically? :?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:59 AM   #106

try reading with understanding. belive me, there's a question in my post, even two of them (small hint: they end with question mark)
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:16 AM   #107

Alright, I'll try my best;

Quote:
I wonder how did you view your film photos. at 100% it would be 36x24 mm not really much to see :-). but if you made prints why you don't do it with digital?
I know that if I make prints, I will have to resize the photos which will definitely hide any flaws. Obviously 100% image quality becomes less important then, my N1 will do it fine. But I want crisp and per-pixel sharp images with well defined ISO 1600 quality when viewed at 100%, since I might consider cropping.

Code:
scrolling aroud doesn't make sense for me, would you scroll aroud 16.6MP imagaes from Canon 1dS mk II?
I scroll around to check the image quality. In future, I will definitely want to inspect at 100% before I perform any cropping.

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:23 PM   #108

Lenses go down in price a lot slower than your sensor/camera. Sometimes it may appreciate in value. Lens quality counts a lot more than the camera (with reference to 6 or 10 m )

Daniel

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:

The current crop of 6 MP dSLRs are valuable IMO. Very soon we won't be able to get them anymore if we ever want them. :shock::O:shock: (Just be sure to get one with a good processor with a strong JPEG engine if you are that type!)

Remember, the lens matters the most.

Regards.

All my 2 cents.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote