Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

I am looking for suggestions on how to demonstrate the size of the subject in a macro photo. Viewers may not always be familiar with the subject and macro distorts the perspective. This is one of my attempts, using a dime in the photo.

Pentax ist DS, Vivitar Series 1, 105mm, Macro

Ed
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:22 PM   #2

Hi snooked,

The dime works for me. Some other things to consider would be a stainless steel or small clear plastic ruler (that you only use for this type of shot, to keep it pristine), graph paper, a dollar bill, a business card, CDs, a bottle cap, a watch, a section of newspaper, a calculator button or keyboard key, a wedding band. The possibilities are endless. I would try to find something that fits into the context of what you're trying to convey, maybe without being too obvious. There are a lot of everyday objects that almost everyone can relate to for size. Even changing your background to a piece of velvet can convey size since some of the fibers will be sharply in focus. Your only limitation is your imagination.

Nice shot by the way -- I would have squared it up a bit, or framed it more off-center and kept the green thing from looking like it's coming out of the subject (hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:31 PM   #3

I think you conveyed the sense of scale very well. I know the crime scene people at my office use light gray rulers to show scale, not very artistic though. Now that I have learned a little bit about photography I wonder if they also have a role in setting white balance.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas, By the way the green thing is coming out of the subjet, it is a stem.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

snooked wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas, By the way the green thing is coming out of the subjet, it is a stem.
Hi snooked,

By having it positioned like this, you take the stem out of context with the flower, and it's just an unfocused green line that acts as more of a distraction than part of the flower. If you could angle it so that it shows as part of the flower, then no explanation would be needed. Another option would be to eliminate the stem.

That's just the way I saw the pic.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:08 AM   #6

Tim

Interesting that they use grey, mine are white, might just be a brand thing.

Crash

O/T for those Aussies out there, guess who's got the BIG job here in WA at the moment. Can't say more other than I am honoured to be doing it and saddened too. :roll:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:53 AM   #7

It all depends who the final audience is.

I've used cigarette lighters to convey size relationship and a lens cap. You can then measure the lighter or the cap and overimpose a scale.

Don't forget many people have never seen a dime.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:28 AM   #8

jc,
what size lens cap?? a 39mm or a 102mm??? hehe
saw a smc300 f2.8 the other day. it's lens cap was a leather hood, with draw strings about 5'' around.. just giving you a hard time..

roy
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #9

ummmm

how bigs a dime?
like our 5 cents or 10 cents ?

ok Crash
now i am curious what you are doing

PeterBrock?
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:52 PM   #10

If you have been following the TV news and papers, you now know who Crashman is. :O

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote