Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:35 PM   #11

I took my "old" car out a few weeks ago to take some photos with my new DL. The only problem were some lost highlights from the sun, I think... I don't have a polarizer yet so I'm not sure if it would have helped?

I think the first pic was taken with my old Quantaray 70-210mm manual, and the second is probably the kit lens.

Nice pics, ennacac... I love both the old '30s cars and the Mopars. The second pic is either a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda AAR or Dodge Challenger T/A... the only cars that ever got that particular engine.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:23 PM   #12

Nice convertable! It doesn't look to me like you lost any detail at all in the photos but a polarizer might have bumped up the contrast a bit.

Here is the car that I drove to the show in.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:44 PM   #13

Nice, a friend just bought a first-gen MR2 and is having a great time. The car in my pics is a 1966 Lotus Elan S2, FWIW - it's pretty rare that anyone knows what it is. Emma Peel drove one on The Avengers but it's best known nowadays as being the car that Mazda used as inspiration when building the original Miata.

In retrospect, I should have shot the pictures in raw to give me a chance to play with those settings, I haven't done much of that yet. Most of the other pictures turned out very well but those two seemed to be somewhat overwhelmed by the sun. Still, the first couple pictures were taken when the sun was behind the clouds and the colors are much more muted, so I guess I can't complain too much!

My DA50-200 just arrived today, I still have to buy a ballhead, after that a polarizer is next on my list, I think. Then maybe a macro, then perhaps a fisheye, then maybe a 300mm+ zoom, then maybe... it never ends!

Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:21 PM   #14

I thought it was a Lotus of some sort, but didn't know which one and it seems to be in very nice shape, especially for a 1966.

I rarely shoot in RAW and most of my photos including these are shot in jpg. I helps to find a sharp lens, even if it is a MF lens, as that is half the battle in jpg. Sharp with good contrast!

I hand held all my shots, but was using a wide angle lens (at least it was with my film cameras) so it was easier to keep the images sharp.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:09 PM   #15

Unfortunately I was somewhat disappointed with the first few shots I took with the new DA50-200 tonight, but with all the glowing reviews, I'm guessing that it's probably my fault! It did a lot of hunting for focus in the indoor (but not TOO dark) room I tested it in and produced a couple soft photos shot outdoors, but there was no subject to speak of so it might have been guessing a bit. Some shots, especially with flash, did turn out very sharp. I'll have to play with it a little more, I guess!

Here's a shot that helps to ID the car, with the name badge on the fender there. That's one thing that's nice about Lotus cars - they're all (except for a couple aluminum ones) fiberglass, so the bodies survive nicely. Mine's pretty nice underneath but the interior is definitely shabby! Too many hobbies... one of these days I'll get all that taken care of.

This shot was taken with the old Quantaray 70-210mm. I may have to do one of those focus screen swaps, I do like shooting manual focus sometimes and don't quite trust the beep.