Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

I was eating breakfast, when I caught my cat staring out the door into the backyard. The lighting caught my eye so I grabbed my camera and snapped a few shots. Her name is Snickers.

Tv=1/90, Av=4.5, Exp=0.5, Iso=200
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:37 PM   #2

Nice shot! I like the lighting too. I love seeing what that camera and lens can do. I hope to be ordering mine soon.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice shot. I have a cat with similar markings and color and have had a difficult time getting good contrast for the white fur coat! You've inspired me to try the natural lighting approach vs. a flash. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:19 PM   #4

I played around with this pic in photoshop. I wanted to add some artificial bokeh. What I did was use the lasso tool to highlight my cat. I used inverse select and feather. This highlighted everything around my cat. I then used the gaussian blur filter. What do you guys think? Do you like the first or second shot better? Feedback appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:44 PM   #5

I think the area around the cat is too soft.* Maybe if you were to mask back in some of the foreground (such as the area around the feet) it would look a little more realistic.* It is a very nice picture!
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:10 PM   #6

I like the first one better also, the second one gives the impression the cat was superimposed onto another picture. Nice pic though, and I see what you mean about the light.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:05 PM   #7

balofagus wrote:
Quote:
I think the area around the cat is too soft. Maybe if you were to mask back in some of the foreground (such as the area around the feet) it would look a little more realistic. It is a very nice picture!
you could also use the history brush to get the floor back in focus. otherwise i like it..

roy
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. Went back to the drawing board. This time I was more selective of which areas of the pic I added the gaussian blur. I kept it to the left of the cat, leaving the right and foreground in focus.
Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:36 PM   #9

i find it sometimes difficult to capture snapshots of my cat because he is all black. no contrast at all on his coat.

-b
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote