Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:20 PM   #1

A little cool today, but for the most part sunny. Pictures taken with *ist DL and either the 18-55mm kit lens or my Vivitar 70-210mm lens. All auto pic mode.

More at http://www.thepengellys.com/stuff/fortniagara2006/
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:13 PM   #2

Nice shots. Auto-pic mode does tend to make life easier, and let you concentrate on the scene rather than the technical aspects. The only reason I don't use it all the time is stubborness - I alwayus like to think I know bettter than the camera.

Well, sometimes I do.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:49 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice rich colors. I especially like no. 3 for both color and composition! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:03 PM   #4

all nice but i think i would have leaned out of the opening for the first shot. it's really my favorite except for the distraction.

roy
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5

All are picture perfect and of commercial quality.
These are poster shots.

Daniel

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
A little cool today, but for the most part sunny. Pictures taken with *ist DL and either the 18-55mm kit lens or my Vivitar 70-210mm lens. All auto pic mode.

More at http://www.thepengellys.com/stuff/fortniagara2006/
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:27 PM   #6

Very nice captures of a step back into time! Looks like the state (I assume) really takes good care of such a landmark! The grass is sooo green & the water ... is it Lake Ontario or the St. Lawrence ... is incredibly blue! Very cool, Mike! I hope you & your family...I assume the adorable little redhead is yours... had a good time here! This definitely reminds me that I am so glad that I was born when I was!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:42 PM   #7

Fort Niagara is part of Fort Niagara State Park which at one time also was a military base. I have to admit I don't know much of the history beyond the War of 1812. It's one of my favorite forts to visit in the Great Lakes region. I worked for a couple months at Old Fort Erie and I've visited Fort George and Fort Henry(Kingston). Fort Niagara is located at the mouth of the Niagara River on Lake Ontario. It is on the US side but was actually a French fort prior to the revolutionary war and then was captured and occupied by the British during the War of 1812. It's a beautiful example of a fort of that era.

And yes, that's my little ham of a daughter who likes to pose for me. I probably could have leaned out of that lookout a little more but I personally like the way it turned out. To me it gives a feel of being in the corner tower looking out at the ramparts and moat.

Incidentally, every year they have a huge re-enactment at Fort Niagara where they have hundreds of late 18th century/early 19th century tents and wares for sale. You can buy just about anything related to that time period from the re-enactors. It's a sea of tents in the middle field and in the moat on the outside of the walls. It's really cool to see. If you are into that time period it's something that's a must see/do. I grew up in this region so the War of 1812 period something you get to see just about any day. There is so much history here to take in.

Thanks for all the good comments. I'm still a newb when it comes to SLR photography but I'm trying and practicing.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:02 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
all nice but i think i would have leaned out of the opening for the first shot. it's really my favorite except for the distraction.

roy
Or pull some of the detail out of the shadows to make it less of a distraction!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:26 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
Or pull some of the detail out of the shadows to make it less of a distraction!

Tom
Ok, how's this?

Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:46 PM   #10

Much cleaner, but I still think this could have worked too!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote