Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:47 PM   #1

found this on ebay and wondered if it might be ok for a first zoom lens? I have my DL, and after todays pics decided i need a zoom- here is the info and link

Pentax SMC FA J 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lenshttp://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-FA-J-28-80mm-f-3-5-5-6-AF-Zoom-Lens-NEW_W0QQitemZ160027214541QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48558Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is one of the shots that conviced me:

see that bird???

:angry:

Attached Images

robynart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:37 PM   #2

Here are some pics taken from the front door- they came out pretty clear, need to work on camera shake though-

Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:55 PM   #3

If memory serves, this is the cheapo lens with no aperature controls and severe viginetting, together with overall soft images, tinged with purple.

But I may be wrong.

Darren

http://www.consumerreview.com/sf-1/b...?dnatrs=pentax

http://www.mysimon.com/Camera-Lenses...ax~Zoom%20Lensonly $30 here
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:26 PM   #4

Ahhh- was afraid that might be the case... on to continue the hunt...what zoom would be acceptable for shooting birds, horses etc?Robyn
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:19 PM   #5

Have you had the kit lens 18-55mm?
That appears to be better than what you showed above.

Daniel

robynart wrote:
Quote:
found this on ebay and wondered if it might be ok for a first zoom lens? I have my DL, and after todays pics decided i need a zoom- here is the info and link

Pentax SMC FA J 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lenshttp://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-FA-J-28-80mm-f-3-5-5-6-AF-Zoom-Lens-NEW_W0QQitemZ160027214541QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48558Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is one of the shots that conviced me:

see that bird???

:angry:

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:53 PM   #6

Yep, thats the one i have- but since i am very new with slr's maybe i am butchering the settings? i am taking a college photography class, maybe i'll get better with time?

:roll:
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7

The kit lens is an excellent starter lens, until you figure out what you want to use the camera for. It does normal photo's and very good close-up, plus the camera is totally compatable with it.

An example.

Darren
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:23 PM   #8

It all depends on how much you'd like to spend. If you dont' mind spending a little bit more, the Pentax DA 50-200mm lens is very nice, but runs about $200 after rebate.

For true bird shooting, i'd imagine you'd need a powerful zoom. I'd look for a Sigma or Tamrom lens (get opinions here about quality) that does something like 100-300mm or something in that range if you're mostly interested in zoom/telephoto.

For more of an all purpose lens, there is the Sigma 24-135mm which is a nice walk-around lens with enough wide-angle and zoom for most photos, but it doesn't have a terribly powerful zoom.

There's also a Pentax 80-200mm lens that's much lower end than the 50-200 DA, but is selling for about $85 from Ritz Camera in their online clearance section.

Keep in mind that you need to multiple the range of the lens by 1.5x, as the quotes numbers are for 35mm. You end up with longer focal lengths due to the size of the digital sensor.

intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all the information- the butterfly is incredible- I've got alot to learn!

here is a try of my pet starling this afternoon

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:41 PM   #10

Thanks for the praise - all welcome! The starling shot has come out a hell of a lot better than most of my bird shots. Sharp and clear. Mind you I am using a 70-300mm at the 300mm end (excuses, excuses!).

Seriously though, the starling is sharp and clear, and shows that you just need patience and practice (recommended to me by Alison). Grab shots of birds in flight are very difficult, even for the experts.

Spend as much as you can afford on a decent lens, but I would suggest the Pentax 50-200mm as it is a sharp and light lens, without overdoing it on the reach front.

Darren