Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

Using my Sigma 28-135mm Macro lens (tends to overexpose in Macro), Itook off a number of shots of a Dragon fly that had perched on a strand of barbed wire - all badly overexposed.

Too late - the creature had gone, so no re-takes. Now, I'm quite a fan of the Pentax PhotoLab conversion software bu it just would not copebut Adobe CS2 came to the rescue.

What a difference - image saved thanks to RAW.

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:01 PM   #2

WOW! What a picture. I love it. And what a difference it make on the program used.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:07 PM   #3

i see the ''force'' was with you.. raw is RAW.. let's see-you lowered the exp about 1x, added about 30-40 shadows, decreased contrast and upped the saturation..

roy
nice Sharp image BTW
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:10 PM   #4

try this
make a dark image
1) Copy the dark image and paste it over the bright one. This will automatically create a new layer in photoshop.
2) Select the dark (top) layer and create a new layer mask (this is done by hitting the button that has a circle within a square in the layers palette). A small white rectangle will appear next to the layer 1(dark) icon in the layers palette
3) Now select the backgrround (bright) layer; select all the contents and copy them.
4) Alt-click on the white square representing the layer mask, right next to the layer 1 icon. This should make the whole document white.
5) Paste. You should see your background image in black and white.
6) Filter -> Gaussian Blur -> 40 pixels.
7) Click on the background layer, and voilá! Flatten image and save.

edit: i try not to go much more that 2 stops between the two i'm using..

roy
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:22 AM   #5

there's one more advantege of RAW which I found out yesterday. I was in zoo and I took about 150 photos, all in RAW. because had to do PP I got rid of about 100 of them due to cametra shake or few similar frames. so I ended with about 50 good photos. If i shoot in jpg I'd have 150 photos because I never looked close on them before and never deleted most of them. It means for me more good photos and less bad ones on my HD.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Too late - the creature had gone, so no re-takes. Now, I'm quite a fan of the Pentax PhotoLab conversion software bu it just would not copebut Adobe CS2 came to the rescue.

You really should download the free update of PPL Version 3 that uses Silkypix engine. It is much capable although the UI still quite confusing. IMHO, it generates much better photo than Adobe Lightroom.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:45 AM   #7

Foxbat121 wrote:
Quote:
Catbells wrote:
Quote:
You really should download the free update of PPL Version 3 that uses Silkypix engine. It is much capable although the UI still quite confusing. IMHO, it generates much better photo than Adobe Lightroom.
Already tried it & wasn't too impressed although I only tried it Auto.

See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:47 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
i see the ''force'' was with you.. raw is RAW.. let's see-you lowered the exp about 1x, added about 30-40 shadows, decreased contrast and upped the saturation.
Only reduced the exposure by 2.45 & left everything else on Auto, then post processed using Images Levels to bring the darkness up a tad, then Highlights & Shadows followed by modest USM.
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
try this
make a dark image
1) Copy the dark image and paste it over the bright one. This will automatically create a new layer in photoshop.
2) Select the dark (top) layer and create a new layer mask (this is done by hitting the button that has a circle within a square in the layers palette). A small white rectangle will appear next to the layer 1(dark) icon in the layers palette
3) Now select the backgrround (bright) layer; select all the contents and copy them.
4) Alt-click on the white square representing the layer mask, right next to the layer 1 icon. This should make the whole document white.
5) Paste. You should see your background image in black and white.
6) Filter -> Gaussian Blur -> 40 pixels.
7) Click on the background layer, and voilá! Flatten image and save.

edit: i try not to go much more that 2 stops between the two i'm using..
Followed this all the way through to 6 but no difference when following step 7
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Already tried it & wasn't too impressed although I only tried it Auto.

See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Never used Auto myself. I like to manually tweak it even in Adobe Lightroom. Auto just does not make sense when you use RAW.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote