Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:16 PM   #1

This may have been discussed before...I added my third backup drive today (I have 120 GB, 80 GB, and now a 250 GB in addition to my 160 GB drive in my desktop machine).

How is everyone else handling back up for their photos? I have backed some up to CD, but I'm not convinced that they will last over the years. So, I keep buying hard drives and installing them in cases.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #2

I Back them Up both ways.
Then 250 gig on my PC. I burn to a DVD and i have a 160Gig Ext drive. I am Not Convince That any of then Will Survive. I Every few years i reburn to a new Disc.
This Also takes in to account any Changes in drive format((I.E. CD to DVD To Blu Ray)

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

I back up to 2 DVDs when my temp photo directory reaches 4.5G in size. Cost wise it is cheaper per gig basis to backup to DVDs. I do not trust harddrive at all as I had a major failure before.

Daniel

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
This may have been discussed before...I added my third backup drive today (I have 120 GB, 80 GB, and now a 250 GB in addition to my 160 GB drive in my desktop machine).

How is everyone else handling back up for their photos? I have backed some up to CD, but I'm not convinced that they will last over the years. So, I keep buying hard drives and
installing them in cases.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

I backup to DVD with the files still on my large hard drive in case i want to look at them without getting the DVD out. Sometimes there are multiple dvd's of the same pics for redundency, keep a dvd at my parents in case of fire.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:36 PM   #5

I perform an unattended scheduled backup every day onto a second hard drive on my system. Every Week I also perform a manual backup onto an external hard disk drive.

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:21 PM   #6

i try to back up to cds

and then on to an external hard drive

i know a person whos 250gig external just gave up the ghost
luckily most of the stuff is backed up to cd so it is now a matter of time and effort to put the cds onto a new external
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:35 PM   #7

IMHO if you backup to HDD, it must be external HDD. If you backup to internal HDD you can have voltage jump and both your drives will be dead.

Also in case of internal HDD backup, I wouldn't bother with scheduled backups, I would create RAID array from those two HDDs.

So, backup to some external destination is a preffered way. The best way is to do that into two different kind of media.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:43 AM   #8

I burn them on DVD. but because I'm a little lazy I didn't do any backups after my holiday in March and couple weeks ago I had to do system restore from norton ghost file and what happened? I did it too fast without thinking and it went on my data drive not system drive, I lost everything, movies music and photos. lucky for me I gave this photos to my family so they are still out there.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote