Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:58 PM   #1

Does anyone else like this lens. I think it is Good (not great) for Tele or Macro. Can do either without changing lenses. Macro gives 1/2 imageratio, 1/1.5 with my Cambron 1.5x tele-xtender.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:59 PM   #2

Macro
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:25 PM   #3

I must have a different version, as mine only does 1:3.8 macro. Thus far, my impression is that it is OK but not great. If I needed something within 200mm I would pick the Pentax 50-200 for sure. I put a Sigma APO 70-300 on my birthday list.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:39 PM   #4

The version you have was rated lower than the current Tamron Macro. I do not think you will see much improvement with the Sigma 70-300mm. For more serious tele work I have a Sigme 100-300mm F4. A heavy lens requiring 82mm filters but internal focus and zooming are nice. Can hand hold in decent light with new K100D. Works best with monopod or tripod.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:32 PM   #5

I've got that Tamron & really like it for macro but it's ok for tele. Actually, I've got that Tamron & a Promaster (not sure who actually made it) with the same settings & I'm trying to decide which to get rid off so I can afford to get a Vivitar 105mm for portraits (Thanks for the suggestion BTW Roy!). I'm trying to keep my LBA in check :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:26 PM   #6

I actually have the Vivitar 105mm, f2.5, Macro, manual focus. Picked it up on ebay from a camera shop as new old stock for about $120

Ed
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the tease,Ed! Hey got a question while we are on this particular lens .... are they interchangeable with Minolta & k-mount pentax??? Also, what is a decent $ for this ... in good used shape???

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:41 PM   #8

The Vivitar is a K mount manual focus. Unusual in that as you focus it expands in both directions. I paid somwhere around $120 plus $12 shipping as new old stock a couple years ago. I have seen them from $120 to $170. Have not looked lately. The picture I took of it was with a new old combination. Pentax K100D with F, SMC, 50mm, 1.7. Pentax first version of autofocus. I think that is real sharp lens.

Ed
Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:19 PM   #9

ed!!!
YOU STOLE my lens!!!!!
these go for 100-200usd.
ed got his about 10usd less than i paid. i don't think i'd pay more than about 175 total for one as you can get the tamron or tokina 90mm for around 225 new. someone here purchased one recently. the vivitar is a BIG heavy long lens but i love mine..

roy
what's the serial number on that lens??
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:07 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
someone here purchased one recently.
roy
That was me. I followed several on ebay and I would say that the going price seems to be $180-$200. I lost two before I won one in Lester A Dine trim for $190. All of the ones I followed were in excellent condition.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote