Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:13 AM   #1

Oh dear.

I've been overtaken by desire! I told myself I wouldn't succumb - and I haven't.... yet. But I am looking at two lenses.

One: the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Two: the Sigma 135-400 f/4.5-5.6 APO

Now I feel the need for validation - does anyone know what these lenses are like to use? I hear the tamron is excellent, and the sigma is supposed to be pretty good. The one I'm looking at is not an EX version but I still think it is rated highly. I would just like to see if anyone here has either of these lenses for me to see samples of (or if you live in Sydney to loan!!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank

Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2

These are 2 very different lenses - what do you plan on shooting?

I've heard lots and lots of people rave about their 28-75 - this seems like a winner. I haven't heard anything about the Sigma at all. but it might be the better choice if you are shooting wildlife....
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:41 PM   #3

the tamron would be used as general walk around lens as well use for taking photos of theatre productions when i'm asked. Also regular stuff like 18ths and 21sts etc which is where the wonderful f/2.8 comes in handy!

The sigma would be used for generic wildlife shots and is something i can wait on. Though I've just stumbled on the tokina 80-400mm and i've heard that it is really quite good!

I'd like a lens that I can use for sport at night or in low-light conditions, but the only one I know of is the 70-200 f/2.8 which is a bit pricey for me - but oh how I crave it!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:51 PM   #4

Hi Patang,

I have 2 of the lenses that you've mentioned, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 SP AF XR Di. . . and the Tokina 80-400 AT-X AFII, and like them both. The Tamron is a "one of the best in class" type lens, and I don't even think about looking for something better in the FL range.

The Tokina, for me was a better choice than the Sigma 135-400. Although a little soft and prone to some CA and PF (in very high contrast areas) wide open at 400, it sharpens up nicely stopped down a bit, and the CA and PF are also significantly better controlled (and the lens isn't really that bad wide open). It's considerably smaller and lighter than the Sigma, and that means a lot for me, as I like to shoot handheld if possible. It's built like a tank, and less expensive (if you can find one). There are two variations, the AF is the earlier model, and comes without a tripod collar and has a screw-in hood. The AF II has a non-removeable tripod collar and a bayonet type hood. I wanted the AFII because of the pod collar and the bayonet hood mount, but if I had to do it again, these features wouldn't be as important as I had thought they were, so I would get the variation that was the better deal if you're faced with a choice.

Also, I have a Tokina 70-200 f2.8 AF AT-X Pro as an alternative to the outrageously good, very rare, and very expensive FA* 80-200/2.8 or reasonably expensive and very good Sigma EX 70-200/2.8. The Tok is a touch lighter than the other two and not quite as good optically, but it's a very good lens, and you might be able to find one in the $400 range in Ex condition. I don't use this FL range that much, so I was willing to comprimise a little optical quality for a considerable $$ savings.

Just as a side note -- another reason I chose Tokinas over Sigmas is that I have had a couple of negative experiences with Sigma lenses in the past (sample variations), so I have a slight negative bias towards them. Of course, YMMV.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Patang wrote:
Quote:
One: the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Two: the Sigma 135-400 f/4.5-5.6 APO
Judging from MTF Charts, that Sigma looks like it might be a bit soft on it's long end, even stopped down:

http://www.photodo.com/product_458_p4.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:01 AM   #6

Fair enough - I'm fairly positive I'm going to get the tamron... which means if I don't get the 135-400, I'll look into getting the 80-400 by Tokina (Incidentally, does anyone know anything about the sigma 170-500mm by sigma?)

Pat
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

Hi Pat,

I can only relate what I've heard, and Sophie Wilson, the long zoom guru of the Pentax forum at DPR owns both the 135-400 and the 170-500, and feels the 170-500 is the lesser of the two lenses. Her word is very well respected over there.

Something that you might consider is that with the pretty much confirmed USM AF support of the new K10D, there might be significant new 3rd party lens support in the near future for Pentax. The big 3 (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) already support in-lens AF motors for C and N, It would be little trouble, I'm thinking, to supply these lenses with a new K mount for the K10D. If they are going to go to that trouble, why not include compatiblity for older KAF and support an even wider user base? I'm thinking that the very good acceptance of the K100D and the anticipated appeal of the K10D, will motivate the 3rd party lens mfgs to renew Pentax support.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote