Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #1

Just got back from a week's vacation without internet connection, and there's so much on here to catch up on! I didn't want to say anything because the last time I went to this area my pictures were terrible, but this time I got a few that came out OK.

Some things I learned this week:the DA 50-200 is a nice lens but too short formostbird photo;and how hard it is to take a picture of a white bird. I have tons of photos of this Giant Egret where it is a blob of white, and only got these two photos by underexposing, then lightened the bird with software. I purposely left it a bit dark because when I lightened it more I lost most of what detail these two pictures captured.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #2

Another one - sure wish I had a 300mm lens!
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:50 PM   #3

There were lots of other birds on this lake - including many Canadian Geese. Don't know if they were there for the winter, or just stopping for a while before heading further south.
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

The humble, common ducks were around too.
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:54 PM   #5

On another day we went fora walk and saw this baby. It's not a very good picture because I didn't get the whole body, but for anyone who might not be from this area, these fellows are NOT something to pick up (I was surprised to see one at all, since I was on a very popular trail). The rattles on the tail mark it as a snake to stay away from!
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:56 PM   #6

One evening we took a picnic dinner and waited (along with lots of other people) for the full moon to rise.

What looks like smoke is really smoke. The high country had a few fires burning in it as usual for this time of year. Since the area where this one was burning is so isolated, they let it burn.
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:03 PM   #7

While we waited for the moon to rise, we all appreciated the sunset. The sun going down cast lovely warm light on a famous landscape. As we were waiting my husband (the never-owned-a-camera guy) asked to use the DS since I had both. He took this photo with the DS and the kit lens (P mode and shooting in jpg). The DS can definitely be used as a point-n-shoot!

It was a wonderful vacation, I still haven't looked at all of our pictures.
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:21 PM   #8

Some great photos there. One word of caution though, when you get the 300mm lens, you will find that you need 400-600mm.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:34 PM   #9

Those are nice. Take the Egret and select the Egret in PS and then bump up the highlights, which will bring out the feather detail and not change the background.

If you want you can send me the original file and I will do it for you to show you how it will help with detail in the white bird.

Other than the normal DR issue with digital (film would have worked) those are great shots.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote