Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:41 PM   #1

Was really surprised at how little internet discussion surrounded this cmera, so maybe this thread may help others.

For starters, it would appear that the GX-1L (doesn't just roll of the tongue like a D50 does !!!!) is a rebadged pentax *istDL2.

I bought a 2 lens kit (each with it's own hood) for £400, which is an amazing price.

I have only had it for an hour or so, my first impression is that tht the imge quality is very good and that it's response is slower than my old D50 - but since the D50 is known to be very fast, I am neither surprised or disappointed.
Images also look very clean through the ISO range.

my recent camera history is - had a D50, got fed up carrying a bag of lenses around, so sold everything and bought a Panasonic FZ7. I sold this for a FZ30 but even as superb as this machine is, I desperely missed, the response time, image quality, optical viewer and low light performance of a DSLR - hence my re-introduction back to the bag of lenses !!!!
Though i must say my Samsung (Pentax) setup is lighter than my D50 was.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2

norm,
welcome to the other side.. and to the board. i just know you will like the cam.. better get a bigger bag tho. about 24,000,000 lenses out there that are compatible. we are waiting for some images..

roy
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

Just wondering why you chose Pentax(er, Samsung) over Nikon or Canon this time. Also Samsung over Pentax. Thanks
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:05 PM   #4

Looking future wise, I would prefer to have a camera that has image stabilisation in the body and not on the lens. I think that Nikon / Canon are committed with doing IS on their lenses. I know that Pentax are going down the IS on the sensor road.

So my purchase was based with the future oflenses / IS in mind.

I think I will wait for the generation that follows the K100D - whether that be a Pentax or Samsung body. This will probably be a high ISO, stabilised, fast focussing, 10MP camera, which sounds pretty perfect to me.

I bought the Samsung becauseI just see it as a re-badged Pentax. It appears that there is a public prejudice in this partnership towards Pentax - whether they have struggled to get the samsung stocks down,I have no idea, but the bottom line is that market forces have given me a body and 2 lenses for £400 and that is a good price if you see it simply as a re-badged Pentax.

Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:23 PM   #5

nothing wrong with the samsung. i have a feeling tho that pentax is going to make an announcement tomorrow.. if it's true then i'll be upgrading next year for sure.. 400 pounds for the 2 lens set in the UK is a great price from what i've seen about pricing there..

roy
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:10 PM   #6

Not the worlds greatest dragonfly photo but i thought i would post anyway - those who have ever tried to photograph a dragonfly in flight will appreciate the challenge. in this instant, I got the wing muscles in focus, rather than the head.

It was quite a bright day, the dragonfly kept landing on a wooden fence, I pointed the camera just above the fence to try and capture either lift of or return landing. The background has not been touched. This is a heavy crop and has been sharpened, no other PP.

Shot with Samsung GX 1L at 1/1500 at f5.6 ISO 400on the 55 - 200mm kit lens.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mistersmi...odragonfly.jpg
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:46 PM   #7

i personally hope you will attract more samsung users by making some posts in here.

keep those pictures coming!

( tests are tests, ilike to see real people handle them cameras in day to day shooting situations )

"testresults from experts + day to day experience from users = abalanced opinion"
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:50 PM   #8

Considering I can't manage to get a dragonfly into the frame at all (and can't take decent pictures of butterflies either), you've got my attention.

There's nothing wrong with Samsung - my TV is a Samsung and it works very well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9

You actually caught the wings in motion, excellent. With apologies to Shakespeare, "A Pentax by any other name would smell as sweet."

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote