Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1

maybe i've missed it but is there a setting to word wrap the posts here?????
half the time i have to scroll to the right to be able to read the message. it's a PITA. maybe it's board related.. i know that when i do a reply to something all the responces are within the area on my screen. i'm using a 19'' moniter also..
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2

I try to resize my images to 800 wide so the screen doesn't have to be scrolled sideways to view the images.

I just write and let the thing do its thing, and it comes out word wrapped on the post, as for one big long uninterupted, never ending, go on for ever, can't see the the light at the end of the tunnel, string of words forming a useless monologue requiring two breaths to complete when reading out aloud and giving RSI/Carpel Tunnel Syndrome to the user scrolling sideays to read the text of the sentence........No.., don't have that problem. :blah::blah::blah:

Just kidding, what a paint it is and I have no idea why it does it, some posts it does and some it doesn't. I don't think it is the poster that can control it, I think it is the server.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:41 AM   #3

I've found the board hates anything I write in Safari so I use Camino when making a post containing images.* The word wrap thing is wierd though; some posts are fine and some need to be scrolled and scrolled.* I also resize my images to 800px on the longest side.
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:07 AM   #4

My only problem has been when someone posts an image that is too wide to view on the screen without scrolling. Some images posted here have reached across nearly two screen widths. My screen is set at 1024X768, people with smaller monitors may use 800X600, and a few with huge displays may be using 1600X1200, there in lies the problem. If we all keep our images to 800 pixels wide it will be a big help. If I have posted overly wide images in the past I apologize.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

I'd have to agree with Ira. It's up to the Admin of the Board to max the size of image allowed. On the other hand since it's a photographic board they may feel this is not necessary.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:21 PM   #6

I run a phpBB-based forum and use a Javascript mod that someone wrote that automatically resizes photos to stay within the width of the viewer's web browser window, so it always looks OK for everyone. If the picture is shrunk, it is clickable and the full-size pic opens in a new window. I love this setup and think it is the best possible option (since you'll never get everyone to post narrow pictures, and it's nice to get larger resolution ones, too.)

I have also seen that vBulletin will wrap the text only to fit the viewer's browser while pictures remain full-size, so you only need to scroll left/right for photos.

I don't know if either of these solutions are an option that can be added on to the WowBB software that Steve uses.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:20 PM   #7
Administrator

I copied this reply from another recent thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

The forum software we use (WowBB) works fine on most monitor resolutions (and the majority of digital camera users are going to have their resolution set to around 1024x768 or higher anymore). Even 800x600 is fine for reading posts without worrying about the need to scroll in most threads.

But, if someone posts a long URL in a thread, it will make the thread wider (if it doesn't see spaces within the text in a line, the word wrap won't work until the end of the line), depending on the browser being used.

Ditto for a larger image. We ask that users limit their attached images to around 640 pixels wide. But, some users don't notice the "sticky" threads we have about posting images, and post very large images anyway.

See the two posts about attaching images in the Announcement ("Sticky") Threads at the very top of the threads list in our General Q&A Forum, like this post from Steve asking that images be kept to around 640 x 480 pixels for proper display here. You can get away with a little wider. But, keep our members that may have monitors set to 800x600 in mind. I usually keep my photos to around 720 pixels or less on the wide end.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

So, when members post images that are too wide, that makes the entire thread page wider, requiring readers to scroll left and right to see the posted text.

What browser are you using, and what resolution is your graphics card set to?

I use Firefox more than any other browser lately, and I find it to work OK (with some "quirks" from time to time that I got used to). The forums software is actually optimized for Internet Explorer though.

I've also tried Konquerer, Opera and Sea Monkey, and those browsers seem to work just fine for viewing threads here (I can see threads without any left/right scrolling, provided there are no wide images or long URLs in any posts on the page being viewed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:13 PM   #8

WOW!! thanks Jim for the almost immediate response to my pm...

roy
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:43 PM   #9

Anyone notice that this thread word wraps just fine? I use Firefox and if I start a thread the word wrap works just fine, but if I join one that is not word wrapping, nothing seems to make it go back.

I do all my posts on a 12" Powerbook and I figure if I can see the entire post, everyone should be able to.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:56 PM   #10
Administrator

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Anyone notice that this thread word wraps just fine? I use Firefox and if I start a thread the word wrap works just fine, but if I join one that is not word wrapping, nothing seems to make it go back.
Again, if there is a long URL (link) in any post on a page, it will make the entire page wider (the length of the URL, since it treats it as a single word and doesn't see any spaces for word wrap). It only wraps at the end of a word when the width gets wide enough (and most browsers treat a URL as one long word).

The same thing applies to a wide image. If a large image is posted anywhere on a page in a thread, the entire thread will be wider if you're viewing the page the image is posted in.

So, don't post any long URLs (or use code tags with short descriptions for long URLs)

Instead of (and if this lnk was 200 characters long, then the page would be that much wider).

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode

Use code tags to make a link showing only a short description like this (then, no matter how long the link is, it would word wrap after the short description):

Page describing use of BBS Code Tags

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote