Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:21 PM   #11

Thanks for all the feedback although now you've got me really confused!!!!

There are votes here for:

Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw

PSElements5

Gimp / Plasticbugs

Pentax + Photoshop

Paintshop pro

I suppose that says they all do the job.... The GIMP certainly stands out from the crowd.. and free. Will try that one - and sounds like I'll need to use Pentax software if I get round to trying out shooting in RAW format. Thanks

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:08 PM   #12

No, you Dont Need to Use the Pentax. I have been Told that Silky Pix will read the K100D file format.

BK

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback although now you've got me really confused!!!!

There are votes here for:

Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw

PSElements5

Gimp / Plasticbugs

Pentax + Photoshop

Paintshop pro

I suppose that says they all do the job.... The GIMP certainly stands out from the crowd.. and free. Will try that one - and sounds like I'll need to use Pentax software if I get round to trying out shooting in RAW format. Thanks

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:48 AM   #13

If you (or anyone else interested) posts the kinds of things you will be doing with the software, we could make more pointed recommendations. Also need to know if price is a consideration.

There is a big difference between basic image manipulation and the building of complex graphics. If your needs lean more to one rather than the other, recommendations will vary considerably.

In general, I recommend PSP because it isinexpensive (PSP X can be had for $30 or less) and it has apretty full set of both image and graphics features. At this price/feature point, it provides plenty of room to grow without taking a chunk out of the family budget. I prefer it over GIMP because I found some important GIMP features to be too hard to deal with -the multiple downloads for both the basic program and some important features (RAW processing especially).

GIMP (which I tried), CS2 (which I have), and most others are all good performers and have their advantages and disadvantages like PSP.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:40 AM   #14

Sure.....

As per my initial post, currently use Picasa for cropping, sharpening, adding light and highlights.

Looking for something a bit more powerful to allow me to go to the next level. Ideally something relatively intuitive and easyto use. Don't have huge amounts of time and not looking for perfect results but would like to be able to merge photos,edit outunivited guests, adjust colour, contrast, sharpening etcwith more flexibility than Picasa.

Price certainly a consideration, hence my question about the bundled Pentax Software and Photoshop 6 which I have a copy of butwould be willing to pay if it was really worth it.

Haven't shot RAW photos yet, but from reading here RAW plus post processing seems to be a popular way to go and I'll probably try. I usually take a lot of shots and then play around with the 4 or 5 good ones.

The GIMP sounds good. How significant are the problems with it?

Thanks in advance, Bob

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:14 AM   #15

I tried the GIMP for a little while but probably not enough to give a full commentary on all its features. For Windows, I had to download the GTK environment, the GIMP, and a a at least one or two additional files for a RAW converter. Since these are all independent pieces of software, I had to check and download separate updates for each of them. It became a hassle to manually manage all of these. The other major programs handle automatic updates and maybe two separate files (program plus RAW converter). I never could get a good workflow out of the DCRAW or UFRAW either. The other reason I moved away from GIMP was that it didn't support 16 bit processing (this may have changed, I haven't checked). The inconvenience was a higher 'price' for me than paying for PSP.

PSP vs CS2 - The support base for CS2 is incredible. People post new actions and scripts daily, share tips, give classes etc. The same exists for PSP but at about 1/10th the level as for CS2. CS2 also has an incredibly rich set of features (although PSP has a few that are better than their CS2 counterparts). PSP has a very rich feature set but not all that can be had with CS2 except that the Noise reduction, Red eye removal and Clarify tools are better in PSP than what I've found in CS2. PSP color management isn't as robust as CS2 either. For most users, I'd recommend PSP at the lower price point because $300 or more plus $160 or so for upgrades is a bit steep. Since Photoshop Elements is around the same price point as PSP but had (last time I tried it at v3) fewer features than PSP, I'd pick PSP again. Potential advantages with Elements are that newer versions may have filled the feature gap and there may be a way to upgrade to CS2 from Elements now (not sure either way).

VS others - here the decision becomes do you need layers. If you are going to do prints built from more than one photo or graphic, layers IMHO are a must. If you don't need layers, then Picassa or PhotoAlbum or Lightroom might suit you just fine. PictureWindowPro is an advanced editing program that doesn't support layers and would be a good choice if you want an advanced editor without the fancy graphics features. I haven't played with PWP for a while either.

Obviously, there are too many programs available for me to have tried them all so don't dismiss packages I haven't mentioned. I try to not comment on things I haven't tried. Your best bet is to pick two or three based on features and price, then download the trial versions.

RG

Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:15 AM   #16

I tried the GIMP for a little while but probably not enough to give a full commentary on all its features. For Windows, I had to download the GTK environment, the GIMP, and a a at least one or two additional files for a RAW converter. Since these are all independent pieces of software, I had to check and download separate updates for each of them. It became a hassle to manually manage all of these. The other major programs handle automatic updates and maybe two separate files (program plus RAW converter). I never could get a good workflow out of the DCRAW or UFRAW either. The other reason I moved away from GIMP was that it didn't support 16 bit processing (this may have changed, I haven't checked). The inconvenience was a higher 'price' for me than paying for PSP.

PSP vs CS2 - The support base for CS2 is incredible. People post new actions and scripts daily, share tips, give classes etc. The same exists for PSP but at about 1/10th the level as for CS2. CS2 also has an incredibly rich set of features (although PSP has a few that are better than their CS2 counterparts). PSP has a very rich feature set but not all that can be had with CS2 except that the Noise reduction, Red eye removal and Clarify tools are better in PSP than what I've found in CS2. PSP color management isn't as robust as CS2 either. For most users, I'd recommend PSP at the lower price point because $300 or more plus $160 or so for upgrades is a bit steep. Since Photoshop Elements is around the same price point as PSP but had (last time I tried it at v3) fewer features than PSP, I'd pick PSP again. Potential advantages with Elements are that newer versions may have filled the feature gap and there may be a way to upgrade to CS2 from Elements now (not sure either way).

VS others - here the decision becomes do you need layers. If you are going to do prints built from more than one photo or graphic, layers IMHO are a must. If you don't need layers, then Picassa or PhotoAlbum or Lightroom might suit you just fine. PictureWindowPro is an advanced editing program that doesn't support layers and would be a good choice if you want an advanced editor without the fancy graphics features. I haven't played with PWP for a while either.

Obviously, there are too many programs available for me to have tried them all so don't dismiss packages I haven't mentioned. I try to not comment on things I haven't tried. Your best bet is to pick two or three based on features and price, then download the trial versions.

RG

Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:19 AM   #17

Only thing I thought I might add to this discussion is that Adobe offers an academic version of Photoshop (at least they do in the US - I assume its world-wide but don't know that for a fact). It's the full program and can be purchased cheaper than their usual retail price, nice for students, faculty or staff.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:38 PM   #18

Is it true that you can't upgrade an academic version?

RG
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:38 PM   #19

Is it true that you can't upgrade an academic version?

RG
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:06 PM   #20

You used to be able to - I upgraded my PS4 to PS6. Don't know about CS - I ended up getting Creative Suite because CS2 by itself wasn't in the student store when I wanted to upgrade my PS6. Thought I'd enjoy having Illustrator etc. but haven't taken the time to learn the other programs or felt the need to use them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote