Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:46 PM   #1

I currently just use Picasa. It's so quick and easy to use. The"I'm feeling lucky option"improves many of my photos.I alsouse it forcropping, sharpening and addinglight or highlight. I haven't found a way of merging photos and the manual controls do seem a bit limited so I'm considering trying something more powerful.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I also have the bundled Pentax software and a copy of Photoshop 6 neither of which I have used.

Keeping in mind ease of use which would one of these be a logical progression from Picasa?

Thanks,

Bob

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

Try out the Pentax software. I really like the results but HATE, yeah, HATE the interface and design.:lol:

Because of this I use Photoshop+Adobe Camera Raw most of the time.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
Try out the Pentax software. I really like the results but HATE, yeah, HATE the interface and design.:lol:

Because of this I use Photoshop+Adobe Camera Raw most of the time.
he's right.. adobe just said they were coming out with PSElements5 next month. i'd suggest that.

roy
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give thePentax software a try.

Given that I already have Photoshop 6, assume it would be worth trying that before looking atPSElements5 - are they very different?

Excuse my ignorance but assume "Camera raw"is something required to process raw files? Would I already have this bundled withphotoshop 6and would it cover the K100D? Otherwise assume I am limited to jpegs?

Thanks again.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:14 AM   #5

Adobe Camera Raw is a plugin for Photoshop that you can download for free from their site. Im not sure if it works with PS6 as I've only ever used it with CS2.

I can't say what the difference between 6 and Elements is as I haven't used either.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:27 AM   #6

If you don't already have a set way of doing things then I'd recommend giving the gimp a try. It's interface is a bit more confusing than photoshop's but it has most of the functionality. Best of all, it's completely free, so you don't have to pay anything to try it and you won't find your version out of date in a couple of years either.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:41 AM   #7

jacks wrote:
Quote:
If you don't already have a set way of doing things then I'd recommend giving the gimp a try. It's interface is a bit more confusing than photoshop's but it has most of the functionality. Best of all, it's completely free, so you don't have to pay anything to try it and you won't find your version out of date in a couple of years either.
jack's correct.. if you are not using anything now give this a shot. it's ''the gimp'' but with more of a photoshop feel.
http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

roy
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:03 AM   #8

I think I remember Adobe Camera Raw (ACR)working with CS and CS2, not with Photoshop 6, but I could be wrong about that - check Adobe's website.

The current version of ACR does not support the K100D, so you would have to use Pentax's software to convert the file to something else, then use Photoshop to make any changes. That's what I've been doing and it seems to work OK - I'll be glad when Adobe releases a new version of ACR, though, so I don't have that extra step. I miss the ease of converting and making all changes at the same time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:43 AM   #9

ACR only works with CS and up and not PS 6 or 7.

The support for each camera is very strange since a friend of mine just goes into the image file and changes the camera name to a supported one and then ACR works just fine.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:13 PM   #10

Most cost effective IMHO is Paint Shop Pro. Just came out with a new version. I downloaded a trial version and most of the new features seem to be for organizing and managing photos. Didn't see a lot new in image manipulation that I would find useful.

Both will process RAW files from the DS. Don't know about later models.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote