Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1

I just read the following concerning distortion correcction on Steve's Digicam site in their review of the Pentax k100d:

PENTAX Photo Laboratory 3 processes undeveloped RAW image data produced by the K100D, enabling them to appear on commercially available image viewing and editing software. Enhancements over version 2 include print bracketing, noise reduction, lens aberration correction, crop/resize, rotate/shift, a more advanced tone panel and enlarged preview panel for selecting a grey point for white balance correction.

The lens aberration correction has the following controls:

The Lens aberration panel provides three tools: Marginal lumination compensation, Distortion Correction and Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction.
The Marginal lumination correction reduces light falloff at the corners. Sliders are provided for lens angle of view and brightness correction.

Distortion Correction resolves lens aberration that photographs straight lines as curved lines. The Correction balance slider adjusts the distortion correction level between the center and margins of the image. (Slide to the right to widen the range.) The Compensation slider sets the compensation level.

Lateral Chromatic Aberration corrects differences in the image magnification and image size due to different color wavelengths at the image margins. The Red compensation slider adjusts the magnification of red light and the Blue compensation slider adjusts the magnification of blue light.

Questions:

To my knowledge, Photoshop Elements does not make these kinds of corrections. Is this function (correcting lens distortion)in dSLR software fairly typical? How well does this type of software (or this particular software)work to correct wide angle distortion? I have not yet tried it. Your thoughts.

Jerry

gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:28 PM   #2

Use of white font not a good idea. Can't read a bloody word. Sure it is something interesting though.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:37 PM   #3

Hmm, all OK for me- and the text under screenshots is BLUE on my monitor- and very readable :-)

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:56 PM   #4

He's probably using the default forum view (fugly black one) on which, white is very easy to read.* And I don't even know what aberration means, so I can't help with that.
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:49 PM   #5

And bloody gorgeous with the blue!
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote