Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1

This will be the last week for the herons since it will be getting cold next week. 80-200 f/2.8 @200mm, 1/750 sec, f/8

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:56 AM   #2

Great shot. Very sharp and good profile of the heron. I'm curious at what time of day you shot this pic? From what I could tell from the pic, it looks early afternoon? I'm curious because shooting around mid day is always tough for me? If you did shoot around mid day, did you use a polarizer?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:06 AM   #3

It was just after noon and I was sort of stuck with severe backlighting but the the photos came out fairly well anyway.

They did require some PP though and I am not sure a polarizer would have helped much with the backlight problem.

Tom
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:27 AM   #4

Good shot with tough lighting. I usually overexpose the background and try to get the subject at the right exposure. It is tough though. This turned out well...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:17 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
This will be the last week for the herons since it will be getting cold next week. 80-200 f/2.8 @200mm, 1/750 sec, f/8

Tom

Tom,

Sharp pict and sharp lens. No doubt about it. Likely you were taking this series from a vantage point (like an scenic lookout). If possible - and we all know how difficult it is- you can shoot at the same level of the heron which will result in your background at least partially blurred out. The pict are beautiful though.
There was another post from another forum member using a very substandard lens in at leatst 2 heron pict. And I mentioned it was wasted opportunity. You have very few chance or likely seconds before the chance slipped away. Photography wise there is not much you can improve on the pict.Hey take pict while the weather still permits.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

My rule is get the best glass you can afford, but don't overlook some manual focus lenses that are not all that expensive.

AF is of little use to me anyway since as in this photo there are some tall grass blades sticking up between myself and the Heron which causes AF to be almost worthless. The 80-200 f/2.8 lens I used is very sharp, but also very heavy, which makes it difficult to hand hold, so keeping the images sharp is a bigger project than with my 300mm lens.

I guess my feelings are to get the majority of the photo exposed correctly and then pull the detail out of the shadows as much as possible. If you do it the other way, I find too many blown highlights that are almost impossible to bring back. Now is I had just been on the other side of the bird the exposure issue would have been very simple, but then I would have been very wet standing up to my waist in water.

Anyway, photography is great fun and there is always some compromise you have to make to get the shot you want.

Tom
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:55 PM   #7

I've been browsing this forum, looking at shots, and I have to say that this is definitely one of my favourite ones so far. To my eye, it looks much more substantial and tangible than many of the other ones... tangible in the same way that a Brueghel peasant might be called tangible.I am not an expert, and I would love for someone to explain to me why that is? Is it the sharpness of the lens, or what?

- Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote