Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 103439] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/100955-recovered-thread-103439-a.html)

Catbells Sep 13, 2006 2:59 PM

I managed to get a mark on the Focusing Screen.

Does any one known if it's OK to lightly brush this with a swap or will it just makes things worse.

Angle Finder Sep 13, 2006 3:48 PM

Catbells wrote:
Quote:

I managed to get a mark on the Focusing Screen.

Does any one known if it's OK to lightly brush this with a swap or will it just makes things worse.
Foccus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

Remove screen after operating the retaining clip. I find it best to invert the camera and allow the screen to fall into my hand. Then I wash the screen in lukewarm water with a small amount of washing up liquid. then rinse under a running tap (careful to only hold it by the edges)

BecauseI live in a hard water area I give a final rinse with distilled water to remove any limescale impurities deposited via the tap, then (still holding it between thumb and forefinger by the edges) I use a Rocket blower to dry it absolutely.

Then pop it in - this is the trickiest bit, never use tweezers or anything metallic. it's best to drop it lightly into the holding frame, then nudge it into place with a plastic straw, or similar. Then close up the vrame, engage the catch, and you're done.

main points - use nothing metallic, abrasive, or containing any sort of spirit or solvent. Just clean water and a trace of washing up liquid if its greasy. Never touch the front or rear face of the screen after it's been cleaned, Just common sense, really.

Sep 13, 2006 3:55 PM

welcome to the board AF.

CB, jc said he cleaned his in the same manner..

roy

Angle Finder Sep 13, 2006 4:06 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

welcome to the board AF.

roy

Thanks - I should have said hello before jumping in really. So Hello.

I should also have mentioned that I was talking about the 'D' screen. I assume the DS is the same, but I heard something about the DL using some sort of shim to pack the screen in the retainiing frame. Sounds a bit fussy to me.

Dal1970 Sep 13, 2006 4:44 PM

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:

robar wrote:
Quote:

welcome to the board AF.

roy

Thanks - I should have said hello before jumping in really. So Hello.

I should also have mentioned that I was talking about the 'D' screen. I assume the DS is the same, but I heard something about the DL using some sort of shim to pack the screen in the retainiing frame. Sounds a bit fussy to me.
There is a brass shim in my DL2, but no real extra hassle. Bit fiddly the first time, no problem at all the second time.

Darren

Catbells Sep 13, 2006 5:21 PM

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:

Focus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

Remove screen after operating the retaining clip.
Just read this without looking inside the camera;mine is *istDS.

Could you elaborate on the retaining clip.

I've seen images of replacement screens where a special set of tweezers appears to be used to remove & replace the screen.

Thanks for the info.

danielchtong Sep 13, 2006 5:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is the pict looking up the viewfinder.
Raise the top metal locking mechanism to release (to drop) the retaining clip which holds the screen in place.

The rest for D or DS should be easy.

DL has a 'n' shape shim just behind the screen

Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:

Focus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

I've seen images of replacement screens where a special set of tweezers appears to be used to remove & replace the screen.

Thanks for the info.

Angle Finder Sep 13, 2006 6:46 PM

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:

It is the pict looking up the viewfinder.
Raise the top metal locking mechanism to release (to drop) the retaining clip which holds the screen in place.

The rest for D or DS should be easy.

DL has a 'n' shape shim just behind the screen

Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Hi, I think that danielchtong has covered it pretty thoroughly withhis photo post - it really is one of those tasks that sounds difficult, but is so easy you'll wonder why you worried about it afterwards.

Tweezers are supplied with the official screen kits - butI think they're works of the Devil. You're only supposed to grab the screen by the little tab in the corner - but a lot of people have strayed onto the screen surface with the metal tweezers and damaged the screen.

Some people suggest using a cloth to pad the sreen when using tweezers, but i prefer to dispense with the tweezers completely.

Rob22315 Sep 13, 2006 8:17 PM

I like the tweezers, the ones that came with my LL-60 screen. Using the Pentax tweezers, I didn't feel like I stood an unreasonable risk of scratching the screen as they fit the tab quite well.

As far as cleaning goes - both the screens and the eyepiece are plastic so alcohol is a no no. I've cleaned the eyepiece with ether without problems. I'd stick to water though rather than risk it.

RG

Catbells Sep 14, 2006 4:13 AM

Thanks for help - quite straight forward after all.