Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:59 PM   #1

I managed to get a mark on the Focusing Screen.

Does any one known if it's OK to lightly brush this with a swap or will it just makes things worse.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:48 PM   #2

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I managed to get a mark on the Focusing Screen.

Does any one known if it's OK to lightly brush this with a swap or will it just makes things worse.
Foccus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

Remove screen after operating the retaining clip. I find it best to invert the camera and allow the screen to fall into my hand. Then I wash the screen in lukewarm water with a small amount of washing up liquid. then rinse under a running tap (careful to only hold it by the edges)

BecauseI live in a hard water area I give a final rinse with distilled water to remove any limescale impurities deposited via the tap, then (still holding it between thumb and forefinger by the edges) I use a Rocket blower to dry it absolutely.

Then pop it in - this is the trickiest bit, never use tweezers or anything metallic. it's best to drop it lightly into the holding frame, then nudge it into place with a plastic straw, or similar. Then close up the vrame, engage the catch, and you're done.

main points - use nothing metallic, abrasive, or containing any sort of spirit or solvent. Just clean water and a trace of washing up liquid if its greasy. Never touch the front or rear face of the screen after it's been cleaned, Just common sense, really.
Angle Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:55 PM   #3

welcome to the board AF.

CB, jc said he cleaned his in the same manner..

roy
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
welcome to the board AF.

roy

Thanks - I should have said hello before jumping in really. So Hello.

I should also have mentioned that I was talking about the 'D' screen. I assume the DS is the same, but I heard something about the DL using some sort of shim to pack the screen in the retainiing frame. Sounds a bit fussy to me.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:44 PM   #5

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
welcome to the board AF.

roy

Thanks - I should have said hello before jumping in really. So Hello.

I should also have mentioned that I was talking about the 'D' screen. I assume the DS is the same, but I heard something about the DL using some sort of shim to pack the screen in the retainiing frame. Sounds a bit fussy to me.
There is a brass shim in my DL2, but no real extra hassle. Bit fiddly the first time, no problem at all the second time.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:21 PM   #6

Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:
Focus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

Remove screen after operating the retaining clip.
Just read this without looking inside the camera;mine is *istDS.

Could you elaborate on the retaining clip.

I've seen images of replacement screens where a special set of tweezers appears to be used to remove & replace the screen.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:33 PM   #7

It is the pict looking up the viewfinder.
Raise the top metal locking mechanism to release (to drop) the retaining clip which holds the screen in place.

The rest for D or DS should be easy.

DL has a 'n' shape shim just behind the screen

Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:
Focus screen cleaning is easy, but requires care. This is the procedure I follow for mine (twice in the last 18 months)

I've seen images of replacement screens where a special set of tweezers appears to be used to remove & replace the screen.

Thanks for the info.
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:46 PM   #8

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
It is the pict looking up the viewfinder.
Raise the top metal locking mechanism to release (to drop) the retaining clip which holds the screen in place.

The rest for D or DS should be easy.

DL has a 'n' shape shim just behind the screen

Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Angle Finder wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Hi, I think that danielchtong has covered it pretty thoroughly withhis photo post - it really is one of those tasks that sounds difficult, but is so easy you'll wonder why you worried about it afterwards.

Tweezers are supplied with the official screen kits - butI think they're works of the Devil. You're only supposed to grab the screen by the little tab in the corner - but a lot of people have strayed onto the screen surface with the metal tweezers and damaged the screen.

Some people suggest using a cloth to pad the sreen when using tweezers, but i prefer to dispense with the tweezers completely.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:17 PM   #9

I like the tweezers, the ones that came with my LL-60 screen. Using the Pentax tweezers, I didn't feel like I stood an unreasonable risk of scratching the screen as they fit the tab quite well.

As far as cleaning goes - both the screens and the eyepiece are plastic so alcohol is a no no. I've cleaned the eyepiece with ether without problems. I'd stick to water though rather than risk it.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:13 AM   #10

Thanks for help - quite straight forward after all.