Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:24 AM   #1

Hello to everyone

I am hunting to buy my first DSRL camera at this end of this year. (if God allows it to me).

I have read excellent reviews about Nikon's 18 - 200mm VR but the price is way out of my budget.

I have read alsot that the Pentax kit lense is a good one also.

One question about Pentax lenses. Is there any all purpose lense equivalent to the Nikon 18 - 200mm VR lense also for Pentax? what is the price if that lense exist?

thxn to all
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:46 AM   #2

As far as I know, the only 18-200mm lens for Pentax is either the Tamron or Sigma. Neither is that highly regarded, although I've heard the Tamron is a little sharper than the Sigma.....cheers......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:43 PM   #3

discovery wrote:
Quote:
Hello to everyone

I am hunting to buy my first DSRL camera at this end of this year. (if God allows it to me).

I have read excellent reviews about Nikon's 18 - 200mm VR but the price is way out of my budget.

I have read alsot that the Pentax kit lense is a good one also.

One question about Pentax lenses. Is there any all purpose lense equivalent to the Nikon 18 - 200mm VR lense also for Pentax? what is the price if that lense exist?

thxn to all

Like mentioned above, all 18-200mm lens are subpar. It is just too difficult to design such a super zoom without a lot of compromises. The consensus are to go with two zoom lens system: one for short end/WA and one for telephoto.

BTW, from the review I read (http://www.photozone.de), Nikon's 18-200 isn't that good either. It has record breaking barrel distortion at wide end and pronounced pincushion distortions from 24mm up. Vignetting is also pretty bad at 18mm (1EV).
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4

Tamron 18-200 is rather decent when stopped down from f/8-f/16 IMHO but I personally still prefer to use Pentax DA 18-55/50-200 combo instead of the mentioned one- but it is stricktly my personal preferance- one thing are reviews, another Your personal taste/wallet (the last regarding getting 16-45 etc. - so no LBA attack AFAIK :?- guess who is lying to himself :sad.

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:56 PM   #5

As a rule of thumb, any lens with a reach like 18-200mm will not be the sharpest lens, but some are in the OK range. You would be better off with a two lens kit to cover that range.

The Nikon lens is VR (SR) but fairly expensive, while if you get one of the SR Pentax DSLR's any lens you put on it will be a SR lens, which is much less expensive than buying individual SR lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:57 PM   #6

Reps wrote:
Quote:
another Your personal taste/wallet (the last regarding getting 16-45 etc. - so no LBA attack AFAIK :?- guess who is lying to himself :sad.

I was pretty happy with my kit lens until I found out pretty bad vignetting @ 18mm. 16-45 looks more and more attractive while my wallet keeps telling me no
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:27 PM   #7

The Nikon 18-200mm VR may be the "best in breed" but we are still talking about a pretty sad breed. A K100D with a Tamron 18-200mm will probably prove just as effective as a Nikon D50 with the 18-200mm VR for considerably less money since the K100d is similarly priced to the D50 and the Tamron has bargain basement status compared to the Nikon. Popular photography recently did an article on the Sigma and Tamron 18-200mm lenses, they found the TAmron slightly better and commented that both were improved over the older 28-300mm lenses sold for the 35mm cameras.

Either of these lenses will prove to be competent picture takers but will not give the sharpness and low distortion of the 18-55mm plus 50-200mm pair. The kit lens does vignette at 18mm, but performs very well by 24mm. The 50-200mm is definitely above average for an entry level telephoto zoom.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:56 AM   #8

Everything Ira says is right bang on the nose. If you want a wider view with no vignetting, the 16-45DA is very nice. Sharp wide open and a constant f4. I don't use mine much, but when I do, am amazed how crisp and detailed the images are. And the 50-200 is a no brainer for Pentax users. Simply another amazingly sharp and detailed lens at a bargain price. Not real fast, but my goodness, the IQ that it can produce! Gotta be one of the best bargains of any lens out there.....cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote