Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:22 AM   #1

I will be ordering a K100D (hopefully this weekend) and I'm trying to figure out what bag I want. I'm getting the kit lenswith it but I plan to get a telephoto lens by Christmas. I'm leaning towards something like the Tamron 75-300mm. I'm pretty sure that will be the longest lens I will bother with for a while.

I'd like to get a top-loading bag that isn't too bulky. I'm not worried about being able to carry both lenses in the bag, but it needs to be able to accommodate the longer zoom lens while on the camera. A small additional pocket for spare batteries and SD cards would be nice. I want to be able to carry it easily on a hike, or for a long day of walking around sight-seeing. I kinda like the top-loading bags from Lowepro like the Topload Zoom 1. I'm just not sure which one will be the best fit. I don't want the camera to have too much vacant space. A slightly snug fit would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:47 AM   #2

www.crumplerbags.com

We've got the "Robo Bob" Perfect for K100D with 18-125mm + space for a 70-300mm. Also has a pocket at the front for batteries, cleaning kit, point and shoot etc.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:54 AM   #3

i've got this ONEbut i've out grown it.. great bag for cam +a couple extralenses. only paid $10 delivered tho.

roy
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
http://www.crumplerbags.com

We've got the "Robo Bob" Perfect for K100D with 18-125mm + space for a 70-300mm. Also has a pocket at the front for batteries, cleaning kit, point and shoot etc.
That site wouldn't load properly for me so I did a web search for "crumpler Robo Bob" and also for "crumpler bags". I never got to see a Robo Bob, but many of the ones I did see look a little too much like a woman's purse for my tastes. I don't really want to make a fashion statement with my camera bag. I prefer a little more stealth. Black would be good. Do you have a picture of the Robo Bob? If not, do you mind taking one and posting it? Thanks.

I do really like the Lowepro Topload models, but I don't know which size to get. I don't want it to be any bigger than it needs to be, but the camera does need to fit with a longer zoom lens.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5

I have Lowepro SL200 Slingshot for 2 camera bodies + lens. If you have one body, go for SL100. I can change lens with the sturdy bag while walking to the next shot.

Daniel

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I will be ordering a K100D (hopefully this weekend) and I'm trying to figure out what bag I want. I'm getting the kit lenswith it but I plan to get a telephoto lens by Christmas. I'm leaning towards something like the Tamron 75-300mm. I'm pretty sure that will be the longest lens I will bother with for a while.

I'd like to get a top-loading bag that isn't too bulky. I'm not worried about being able to carry both lenses in the bag, but it needs to be able to accommodate the longer zoom lens while on the camera. A small additional pocket for spare batteries and SD cards would be nice. I want to be able to carry it easily on a hike, or for a long day of walking around sight-seeing. I kinda like the top-loading bags from Lowepro like the Topload Zoom 1. I'm just not sure which one will be the best fit. I don't want the camera to have too much vacant space. A slightly snug fit would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

I found this brand at my local (independent) camera store. They seem to be consistently just under Lowepro in pricing.

http://www.naneupro.com/

I bought a shoulder/sling-type bag, but I'm outgrowing it. It's a good day pack, though.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:28 PM   #7

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I have Lowepro SL200 Slingshot for 2 camera bodies + lens. If you have one body, go for SL100. I can change lens with the sturdy bag while walking to the next shot.
That's a really nice bag! I was just looking at the Slingshot 100 & 200. They cost a lot more than I wanted to spend, but they might be worth serious consideration. I have one question though (this might be a deal breaker). With the 100, do you think the K100D would fit in there with the Tamron 75-300mm attached? I have a feeling that I will keep the longer lens on most of the time, so I want the camera to fit in the bag with that lens attached. I'm not worried about carrying a ton of other stuff along.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:45 PM   #8

The Slingshot style bags are excellent if you don't have a lot of gear. Big top loader bags are best if you do events like weddings where you want a bag that can hold alot and be moved easily when open. Back packs sound convenient but are best left for hiking since they must be taken off, opened and then closed again to put back on.

I vote the Sling style for your camera body and just two lenses.

BTW I do not own a sling bag (unfortunately) I have a big top-load Lowepro Nova5 that I use for weddings, a Lowepro Micro-Trekker 100 for hiking and a little Optex top-loader zoom bag which only holds the camera with mounted lens (the 18-55mm or the 24-135mm fit), one set of spare batteries and a couple of memory cards. The Optex gets a lot of use since I take most pictures within the range of the 24-135mm Sigma.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:08 PM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I vote the Sling style for your camera body and just two lenses.
After reading reviews on them, so do I!But I still need to know if the K100D will fit in there with a Tamron 70-300mm attached to the camera body. Anyone?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:30 PM   #10

70-300 bag? No idea... But Pentax original hosts comfortably everything I need to carry around as a starter guy: cam + under it a slim charger + DA 18-55/50-200 (one attached) + 8x filters in screwstack + Kenko 1.5x TC + 50/1.4 + 4 spare NiMH + 4 worst case alkalines + SD reader + spare bat for my Casio Z750 companion + mini-tripod + monopod (over the bag) + yes it is a mess (cleaners etc.) but some items more- and all rather weatherproof IMHO- caught 3 rather severe rains/thunderstorms with it, was afraid but lucky, and what is the best: it is of the size: the smallest... So: why buy a small camera if You wanna buy a big bag? I always spot C/n/n guys from far: the longest lens on the belly and the largest possible camera bag :-)

But this is me and my personal taste again... My best guess: go to a KNOWN GOOD camera store and listen what they suggest and why- and then buy- and You can always return with some dissatisfaction to the same guys :-)

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote