Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

I guess that I was very scared to burn my rather new K100D CCD with even this dim evening Sun, so I stopped it's kit lense down to f/32 (and later noticed that -0.3EV was left on too)- but still I took this shot- and never seen such Sun in the sky before- nor with film SLR, compact or digicompact cam. I like it! :-)

http://www.diagnostika.ee/K100D/IMGP0356.jpg

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Great shot! Thanks for posting this.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 PM   #3

Terrific shot.

I know there those thatoppose post processing but it does sometimes help; I flipped the figure in the foreground so that he is looking more in towards the frame rather than the other way & straightened up the horizon - hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:15 PM   #4

Thanks, it was nice- I just posted it as is (I guess) but my final image has nearly the same look (my brother flipped and some USM applied)- but BTW the seagull near the sun I did not clean out but- draw it over- because I knew what it was... And my further question- as dSLR does not have an automatic ND filter kicking in nor "electronic" shutter- how safe it is to shoot into bright (even superbright) light?

Thanks and happy shooting for everyone, JR

PS and the tilted horizon- it is simple:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20013414

and I somehow prefer to hold myself upright- but not for so long anymore...

Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:25 PM   #5

The dSRL only exposes the CCD to the scene for the duration of the shutter speed - obviously the larger the aperature, the more light that's let through.

In short, I don't have a definitive answer, but I guess that if you feel safe to view the sunset through the viewfinder, then the chances are that the CCD will be safe; this is 'the 'rule of thumb' that I apply.

Digressing, I remember asking if it was safe to use flash when photographing our first born - the reverse being the cause for concern i.e. eyes.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:42 PM   #6

Thanks, this was very informative. Another question (will not let You off the hook... :-) ): as kit lens has 6 blade diafragm- so "my" Sun was a hexa one- and with say 5 blades it will be... Penta(x) Sun IIRC :-). And yet another question: vast amount of my other Sun photos show only the regular Sun (circular)- is this the achieved (hexa) effect of extremely stopping down the apperture (not normal in any condition)?

Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:23 PM   #7

That is a very nice sunset shot!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:51 PM   #8

Reps wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, this was very informative. Another question (will not let You off the hook... :-) ): as kit lens has 6 blade diafragm- so "my" Sun was a hexa one- and with say 5 blades it will be... Penta(x) Sun IIRC :-). And yet another question: vast amount of my other Sun photos show only the regular Sun (circular)- is this the achieved (hexa) effect of extremely stopping down the apperture (not normal in any condition)?

My Sigma 24-135mm has at least 8, maybe nine blades and my Takumar-F 70-200mm has a 9 blade aperture. I hope I can get a sunset to try it out on in the near future.

This is a great shot BTW, try adjusting the levels for a little more contrast since the lens flare has made the image a little flat. Hope you don't mind my crack at it, I levelled it up as well.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote