Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:12 PM   #11

Sorry, but my many year FW upgrade experience is not related to Pentax dSLRs- so I thought that it would be slightly off-topic... but on the other hand I feel that all the manufacturers "hide" their faults in the same manner- so I shall "blame" myself with my conclusions tomorrow- sorry guys/gals, too late tonight- and I have family plus some responsibilities :-) So no hiding but some "funny" info coming in...

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:16 PM   #12

I probably won't bother with the upgrade for now (I do have the download file) but JR does make a good point especially about Pentax. Remember, they do not say the DL focus screen is interchangeable, it is... they did not mention how much information was encoded and transmitted to the camera with the FA lenses... they don't make a point of blowing their own horn, even when they have lots to brag about. Maybe they will include some well hidden improvements in some of their firmware upgrades.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:18 PM   #13

Reps wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, but my many year FW upgrade experience is not related to Pentax dSLRs- so I thought that it would be slightly off-topic... but on the other hand I feel that all the manufacturers "hide" their faults in the same manner- so I shall "blame" myself with my conclusions tomorrow- sorry guys/gals, too late tonight- and I have family plus some responsibilities :-) So no hiding but some "funny" info coming in...

Best, JR
Looking forward to this tomorrow.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:31 AM   #14

Yes, a lot of FW upgrades silently patch faults without telling end users. However, I can tell you that my Sigma 24-135 lens still occasionally cause menu to turn off, an obvious software fault caused by the imcompatibility of the lens. My FA50/1.4 still hunts for focus in low light. A lot has to do with the limitation of the hardware (AF system, image processor power etc). Thereare very little software glitches, IMO, in current DL software. Unless someone can make a list of these things, there is no way you can tell what is fixed and what is not. I know AF is definitely not faster or better than before. AF speed is affected by many factors like lighting, focus distance, last focus distance, types of lens used and contast of the focusing object etc.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:46 PM   #15

I did the upgrade but did not notice anything until the other night.

I noticed that the body seemed a little wider and it kept asking for a different battery, then I noticed the *ist logo had rubbed off and the K10 was underneath.

Now it refuses to work with me until I find it a new case and some fancy DA pancake lens....:blah::blah::blah:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:50 PM   #16

I have updated the firmware in my DL and there are no noticeable changes. I did notice that I like it more the more I use it and when I see the price to upgrade or switch.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:20 PM   #17

OK folks, finally found some time to hang on the internet again. My humble conclusion to Your dilemma is: UPGRADE! Why? I can share one of my cases as example to that what was the problem, what was advertised and what came out. It is brief study as I have to rely on my memory right now (but basically all facts should be OK without doublechecking). So here we go:

Let us take my recent experience with Casio EX-Z750 which I have used for 1.5 years and taken 19000+ shots- it is a perfect companion for my dSLR. Purchased it in April 2005. No nags at the first glimpse but soon they started.
Main problems were:
1. Frequent "Lens error" messages because You could turn it on in the camera bag/pocket due to not recessed power button and instant reaction to its press;
2. Too high default saturation, contrast and sharpness of images (yes, You can change and save the settings- but these settings do not affect custom modes);
3. High pitched whine in superb HQ MPEG-4 video audio track.
All this was repeadetly discussed in forums, Casio was queried and they replied that as of their knowledge there are no such problems...
So in September 2005 the first upgrade was released:
Quote from Casio website:
V1.00-V1.01
Zooming of portrait orientation images (without changing to landscape orientation).
Really there were 2 v 1.01 ones (internal version shows that).
What did it do really?
1. Fixed (lowered) default image settings;
2. Removed high pitch sound (notch filter adjustment in DSP);
3. Some more items I do not recall now (forum search is down at the moment :-( )

OK so we lived on more happily knowing ourselves how much cam was improved- we use it and notice every change, right?
In december another upgrade:
Quote:
V1.01-V1.02
Adds old photo scene "Revive Shot" to snapshot BEST SHOT scenes.
What did it do really:

1. Changed flash behaviour (recycle time and throttling down for closeups);
2. Almost fixed "Lens Error" problem- they simply made the press to power button last ca. 0.5 sec or something like that instead of instant reaction and changed the blocked lense error to "Retry power on" message - apparently they found that so the Lens error thread vanishes :-)
3. Modified video low-light noise reduction for better image IMHO;

So as You can see from this quick story: IMHO manufs are denying the presence of errors in their products and prefer to fix them to possible extent by FW upgrades throwing in a new feature as an appetizer. And have noticed such things with other brands included our beloved Pentax- but sorry no ideas with dSLR stuff so far.

Hope that this lengthy one did not bore You :-)

Best and happy shooting (and upgrading of course) , JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:58 AM   #18

I noticed nothing except perhaps the formatting is faster. Well, this isn't quite true. I just brought a PQI 2GB SD card and it was acting flakey. Some photos wouldn't read off of it and other oddities. After the upgrade it is working normal. So far at least!
cvig is offline   Reply With Quote