Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:37 AM   #1

So now that the firmware update for the DL has been out for about a week or so, I would like to know what this firmware update accomplishes other than SDHC support. Is the update really worth the trouble and the risk?

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Good question fghouse 2000! Does this upgrade measurably improve camera performance in the area of picture quality? I too am reluctant to mess with my camera unless the benfits are worthwhile.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3

My 2 cents regarding this are: most (if not all) producers try to "hide" their flaws- they give You an update with some new feature but at the same time they silently improve and fix their cameras bugs- have seen this on my digicams every time I upgrade - they promise something new but at the same time fix many-many issues that are discussed on this and other forums if possible via FW- it is just marketing problem not to admit some previous errors- and Your customers will be happier and trustier with every upgrade (and noone will tell You about the REAL background for the upgrade...)
So- upgrade and do not hesitate :-) Of course the first upgrade is the toughest- after that You can revert to previous version but nobody provides You with the 1.00 one again :-(

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

Let me rephrase the questrion....I would like to know from those who upgraded, what their observations are in addtion to the SDHC support.

F
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
Let me rephrase the questrion....I would like to know from those who upgraded, what their observations are in addtion to the SDHC support.

F
Me too!! I am not really interested in the SDHC support but are there any other undocumented improvements that can be demonstrated.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:35 PM   #6

Hey folks- no need for rephrasing Your questions- my post was about something WIDER/WILDER going on behind the scenes- or do You all really think the SDHC is the only point- so find it out- and I really can not see what are You afraid of?

Best, JR

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:59 PM   #7

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:

F

Nothing. My DL behaves exactly as before.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:16 PM   #8

That sounds fair- and it must be the same way... Something different (eg more shots per charge, some JPEG engine enhancements etc.) MAY be noticed later... My idea was about manuf's MISTELLING about real intent of FW upgrade- hard to believe that SDHC was the only one... If curious send me PM and I will tell You more about my (confirmed by others) experience...

Best, JR

Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:31 PM   #9

Reps wrote:
Quote:
That sounds fair- and it must be the same way... Something different (eg more shots per charge, some JPEG engine enhancements etc.) MAY be noticed later... My idea was about manuf's MISTELLING about real intent of FW upgrade- hard to believe that SDHC was the only one... If curious send me PM and I will tell You more about my (confirmed by others) experience...

Best, JR
As part of this forum's purpose is sharing useful and pertinent information with others, why not put these views onthe board for us to see and discuss with our own first-hand experiences?

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:08 PM   #10

I agree with Darren.

Information like this is useful for those of us who want to know more of that the upgrade is all about. I find it hard to believe that Pentax would on the surface release a patch that would only add a single item to the firmware. But then what do I know?

There are a few threads on DPReview that talk about increase autofocus speed, failed update attempts etc. None of them credible enough for me though.

F