Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:45 AM   #21

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Am I looking at the same Lens?? I know there are price differences among stores but....

Jeff

Cameta ebay store is the only place sell this lens for 1/3 of price other places sell. It is the exact same lens.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #22

Fox and Mike-

Yes, I have made sure that the aperture ring is not in the A position and I will next go into the custom menu to energize the aperature and will report back. Thanks for the help.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #23

The option is in the Custom Setting menu and it's called "Using Aperture Ring" you want to set that to allowed. Doesn't matter if you have your aperture ring set to A or not, if you lens has an aperture ring it will give you a problem if you don't set that.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:47 PM   #24

Okay MadMike, Good to know. Haven't spent the money yet but for $100 it's worth the risk..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:10 PM   #25

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Ira, You've mentioned Zoom creep and electronics problems. How long did it take for the Zoom creep to appear and how bad is it? Also, can you be more specific about the electronics problems. $300+ is a lot of money to spend on a lens that doesn't work properly.. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Sorry for the late response, I am trying to come to terms with Firefox but end up having to revert to IE for this forum.

The electronics problems have been elaborated in other threads (just search for 24-135mm Sigma), since mine is fine I cannot comment.

Zoom creep occurs whenever you are not at the extreme end of the zoom range and you aim the camera straight up or down. I do not find it much of an issue but it can be annoying at times.

I paid $76 USD for mine from Cameta and it works, I would not pay $300 elsewhere as long as Cameta has them at about $100.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:13 PM   #26

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ira-

Well I just got home and the Sigma 24-135mm from Cameta was there waiting for me. However, it did not want to work on either my DS or my K100D. Any ideas?

MT/Sarah
Well Sarah, you may have a bad one. Cameta will exchange, so if it continues to show symptoms try a replacement. Too bad, it is a very nice lens once you get past the size and weight.

Ira
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:42 PM   #27

I'd like to get one of those but Cameta doesn't accept PayPal and I still didn't managed to get myself a credit card. Knowing my luck when I finally get credit card they'll stop selling them. it seems like very good lens (when you get a working one).

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:13 PM   #28

Ira, how long after you got the lens did the zoom creep start? Ive noticed that the zoom on mine is fairly stiff. Not so that its a problem or anything, but it takes a fair twist to move it.

Its finally the weekend, and I was hoping to get out and take some shots.........just my luck its raining :lol:
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:17 PM   #29

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
Ira, how long after you got the lens did the zoom creep start? Ive noticed that the zoom on mine is fairly stiff. Not so that its a problem or anything, but it takes a fair twist to move it.

Its finally the weekend, and I was hoping to get out and take some shots.........just my luck its raining :lol:
Hard to say really, I noticed it when I was shooting a lot of images at a graduation where, after each shot, there was a pause. If I pointed the camera downward the zoom would creep to a higher focal length and had to be reset each time. That was about 3 months after I bought it. Normally I don't find it to be a problem.

Ira