Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:55 PM   #1

I've seen in other threads some of you talking about the Sigma 24-135mm f2.4-4.5 lens. It's an interesting lens to me and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. However I have also read that some of these lenses have trouble working with Pentax digital cameras. So my question is, is the lens good enough to take a chance on. If it doesn't work I can always send it back, but is it worth the hassel going through that? When it does work is it a decent lens?
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:06 PM   #2

Check out http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80 and http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80. These posts have all of the good, and bad characteristics of this lens. Personally I have not had any of the problems, only negatives are zoom creep and some focus hunting at the tele end. As a picture taker I can heartily recommend this lens, one of the best Sigmas short of their EX series. You just take your chance on the electronics issues.

Any specific questions?

Ira

BTW note the avatar:

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:12 PM   #3

I posted a number of messages in the links that Ira provided. My new lens has been working great. I took pictures at both of our son's weddings with the lens over the last couple of months and am very happy with it. I'd recommend it with the obvious caution that it may need service. However, at least in Canada the Sigma reps have been great, the extra hassle was worth it.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:22 PM   #4

I love mine. Some examples here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...588417#p588417
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:48 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I think I'll order one today. Been wanting something a little longer than the kit but not TOO long for a walk around. Whats the worst that can happen? I get one that won't work and have to send it back for another? If it takes shots as good as those by Ira and nznhut it should be worth a little hassel. Wish me luck!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

Ok, I placed my order. Should be in my hands by Thrusday, give or take a day. God I hope it's a good one

Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:13 PM   #7

Well, it came today and so far so good. Ordered on the weekend and it's here on wednesday. Pretty cool. At first I thought I got one of the bad ones(and that may still be the case, time will tell) Because it would only work in AV mode and wouldnt let me set the ap. Then I noticed the ring was not set on "A" so I did that and bobs your uncle it WORKS! I haven't noticed any funky stuff with the menu screen or anything yet but haven't had time to really give it a going over. Have to head out for work. Seems to work in each mode though and the menu fires up.

Oh and my second order for a cable switch came today. Ordered one over a month ago from Nova on ebay and it still isn't here, ordered another this weekend from Hudson on ebay, here in three days. But I have it in time for the wedding so I'm a happy little shutterbug today. :lol:
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:42 PM   #8

Glad to hear the lens is working. I think that some of the people who experienced problems may not have moved the lens to the "A" position on the apeture ring.

I ordered one about a month ago, and a family member also ordered one (both from Cameta). Both lenses appear to work flawless without any technical issues.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:04 PM   #9

You know, maybe it was just a small portion of a large run that was bad?It would be interesting to see the lot numbers of the ones that did turn out to bebad.I wonder if they are still producing these or if Sigma is justgetting rid ofback inventory? Ah well, I'm just happy I got a good one so far and hope it helps with the wedding I'm shooting in Oct. for a friend. Never tried that before and I'm a bit nervous.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:26 PM   #10

intence wrote:
Glad to hear the lens is working. I think that some of the people who experienced problems may not have moved the lens to the "A" position on the apeture ring.

Wouldn't that be a interesting. The Aperture ring on that lens is very hard to reach when mounted on one of the *istD? cameras, but if you do manage to hit the button which locks the ring in the A position it could slip without your noticing. I don't think that is what happened but in some cases...
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote