Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #1

I am a new DL user and I am very confused about using the flash. If I us the aut setting, or the Manual setting, it doesnt always go off. The 'Flash' indicator is on in the viewfinder but still doesnt go off.

So for Manual, should it go off no matter what? I must be doing something wrong.

Also I have tried the Flash 'up ' button to go back and forth from blank to AUTO on te display on top of the camera but this still does not go off consistently.

When the flash works, the picture is great, then I will take a picture of the exact sane subject 2 minutes later and the flash does not go off.

Help!
hornmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

If you use P, Tv, Av, M and B mode or set flash to manual, you MUST press the flash button to manually popup the flash. The flash will not auto popup in these conditions. If you use any of those pict mode or auto pict mode and set your flash to auto, it will auto popup and fire when needed.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:36 PM   #3

Thanks, but it pops up fine. Its after that that it wont fire. I take the picture and no flash goes off. This is why I am frustrated.

Thanks, Jeff
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:24 PM   #4

One possibility is that the flash isn't charging. I've seen this on my DS in two instances. One was because a circuit card went bad. The other was caused by dirty battery terminals (allowed enough voltage/current for the camera to start but not enough for the increased load during flash charging).

Does the battery indicator on the top LCD go flaky at the same time? Mine would go from full to empty when I tried to activate the flash. This shows that the voltage drops under high current draw.

Try the easiest first - take a pencil eraser and gently clean the battery terminals. If this doesn't clear it up, you may have to send it in for repair. The repair will take a while if a circuit card is bad. The parts have to be shipped from Japan.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:40 PM   #5

I will try that, but this has happened since day 1. I really hope this is not something that needs repair, its Brand New! Might have been better off with the Nikon!

Thanks for te help.

Jeff :sad:
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:54 PM   #6

No camera brand is without its problems. If you need to make yourself feel better about not purchasing a Nikon, go to their forums (or any brand for that matter) and see the complaints. The same goes for harddrives, PSDs and most other high tech devices as well. As soon as someone experiences one failure, they tend to declare the model or brand doomed. Human nature I guess. That said, it is nice to gauge whether there is a chronic problem with a brand or lens by seeing what others have experienced.

Pentax's cameras don't seem to be significantly worse or better than other brands' in that respect although it is tough to get an accurate measure simply by reading posts. In the DS line, a few others have had experiences similar to mine. I don't know of any chronic problem with the DL line but the failed circuit card has happened according to other posts. If it is under warranty, at least you won't have to pay for it.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote