Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Who do you think manufactures the K10 sensor?
Sony 7 63.64%
Fujifilm 0 0%
Pentax (in-house) 0 0%
Kodak 0 0%
Canon 0 0%
maybe someone else 3 27.27%
could be anyone's guess 1 9.09%
what exactly is a "sensor"? 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:37 PM   #1

I just had a wild thought.
Does anyone know who exactly is manufacturing the K10 sensor? Looking at the specs, it doesn't look like the D200/D80/A100 10MP Sony sensor, although deceivingly close.
I just have a wild far fetched wet fantasy: could the K10 sensor be Fuji?
Now, bare in mind, I'm not saying anything, I'm just as in the dark as every Joe around here, and I'm only looking to know this one thing.
Cuz if it isn't Fuji, then who else could it be? Kodak or even Sony or... can I go crazy and say... in-house?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:56 PM   #2

Just a rumor but I've heard that the sensor may be made by LG.
BamaLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:59 PM   #3

BamaLouie wrote:
Quote:
Just a rumor but I've heard that the sensor may be made by LG.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

p.s.I think once the initial shock tended to fade andI could actually restrain myself from laughing hysterically,I can look at your post with a more discerning eye. First of all, let me tell you that ifPentax ever comes anyhere near to having aLG or Samsungsensor in its dSLR(s), I'm will not even aknowledgingPentax as a camera digital camera manufacturer anymore and will forever look away. OK, now that the nightmare scenario isout of the picture,I can honestly say that you gave me a weird trip, BamaLouie. Bad doggy, bad!

p.s.2 Is Samsung the answer to the riddle? I hope not 'cuz if it is I'm gonna be sick... :sad:
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:32 PM   #4

zygh wrote:
Quote:
I just had a wild thought.
Does anyone know who exactly is manufacturing the K10 sensor? Looking at the specs, it doesn't look like the D200/D80/A100 10MP Sony sensor, although deceivingly close.
I just have a wild far fetched wet fantasy: could the K10 sensor be Fuji?
Now, bare in mind, I'm not saying anything, I'm just as in the dark as every Joe around here, and I'm only looking to know this one thing.
Cuz if it isn't Fuji, then who else could it be? Kodak or even Sony or... can I go crazy and say... in-house?
I should be a Sony, the specifications are the same. Just Pentax replace the standard Sony A to D circuitry, which can be something out of the CCD sensor, with her own, probably from Samsung. That's probably why the RAW file is still a 12-bit one as the Sony 10M sensor is basically designed to be for 12-bit, for its dark current and low bit(s) noise, grey resolution, etc.

Do note that a CCD is an analog device and it "clocks" out chains of waveform for each line of pixels. After that, an A to D converter is needed to convert signal to a digital one and the accurate timing is used for the addressing (of the exact pixel (number) along each line.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:04 PM   #5

Apparently the new K10D's sensor is not Sony but... something else. Check out this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20022955
There it shows the 3 sensors from the D80, A100 and the K10D and while the D80/A100 sensors look remarkably alike, the K10D is physically different.
The rumour has it it might be Samsung or even Kodak. I think I'd rather take the Kodak over that Samsung any day of the week.

P.S. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20036423 and from a different angle they look the same...
P.S.#2 and one user even states that a Pentax representative has said the K10D sensor being made by Sony: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20060196 ... after all, I guess that would hardly come as a surprise...
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:24 PM   #6

I am just curious why the hostility toward the possibility of a Samsung sensor? Does Samsung have a particular quality issue with CCD sensors? Have they ever produced an APS sized sensor?

Just curious, "First of all, let me tell you that ifPentax ever comes anyhere near to having aLG or Samsungsensor in its dSLR(s), I'm will not even aknowledgingPentax as a camera digital camera manufacturer anymore and will forever look away." is a pretty strong statement.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:33 PM   #7

I am aware of that, Ira. I just don't respect Samsung and their products very much. I think they are too much of a "we-do-it-all" corporation for them to be really competitive (from an image quality and reliability point of view) in the camera (especially dSLR) business.
To make matters worse, I think very little of brands that just copy other models from other brands (e.g. Samsung; even Leica with their vluxes and whatnot). I consider Pentax to be too much of an iconic manufacturer to be involved with the likes of Samsung. Sure, I would have dreamed the K10 sensor to be Fuji or even Kodak but I guess Sony is not all that bad as they, at least, have proven their worth in the camera business with some strong and capable cameras. Samsung has not, as far as I see and evaluate things.

P.S. and speaking of LG, well, LG are non-existent in the camera world as far as I am concerned. Their existing cameras are a pathetic bunch of "let's-have-some-cameras-with-our-brandname-on-it" products and are very low in picture quality (to speak just of one thing).
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:13 PM   #8

If it was a Sony sensor, they would have said so straight away.

I think they have specifically not mentioned the maker of the sensor to ensure people look at the quality of the images it produces, rather than make ill informed comments and decisions about the camera capabilities based what they believe the sensor manufactuer's capabilities are.

Just forget that modern Digital cameras are cameras, there are more electronics in them than there are camera components. If Samsung or whoever produces a sensor that does the job, what is the concern?

Sony.. gee since when has sony been a camera company...never, they have been electronics all along...but we dont seem to complain about their sensors because we all acknowledge that they work.

Samsung is another electronics company that has jumped forward in leaps and bounds and if their technology combined with pentaxs creates a 10.2mp sensor that gives the images I want, then I am happy.

If it turns out that McDonalds restaurants produced the sensor when you buy a large fries and still produces high quality images, I would still buy it.

Lest just wait and see the images that come out of the camera before we make rash decision about the maker of the sensor.

zygh, I did notice the omission of Samsung from the voting options, because that would have been my choice.

Crash (patiently waiting for some K10D images...)
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote