Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:03 PM   #11

Wow, thanks guys. That IS a bit complicated for a beginner like me, but something to consider for the future. I kept seeing these really cool old lenses on ebay, especially the ones you mention by Carl Zeiss, Ira. Something to think about. I'm having a bit of difficulty right now just focusing manually with my 50mm. Some shots come out great, some are blurry as heck. Either I'm improperly focusing or hand shake is the problem. But then how doI get better? Practice, practice, practice.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:44 PM   #12

the old lens compatibility and low price are what led me to the *ist DL.

I use my old K1000 lenses, especially the 135 a lot. At a night high school football game last week, I severely embarased a guy with a Konica/Minolta DSLR. He had a 500mm tele (toooo long) and a 105 (too slow), while my 135 mm F 2.5 on my *ist had my snapping left and right. I hate to think what a lens that fast would run new for a cannon.

Rick
AZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:22 AM   #13

AZRick wrote:
Quote:
I hate to think what a lens that fast would run new for a cannon.
Being a Pentaxian I simply love to think about that! :blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:38 AM   #14

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
AZRick wrote:
Quote:
I hate to think what a lens that fast would run new for a cannon.
Being a Pentaxian I simply love to think about that! :blah:

Kjell
A friend of mine has an M 35mm f2, and an M 100mm f2.8, maybe someday I can convince him to sell. Except for the 500mm f8 mirror lens, the slowest MF lens I have is an f4 constant aperture zoom, the others include a 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f2.8 and 200mm f3.5 (an M42 lens that someone crazy glued to an adaptor and then cut a notch for the lens lock, crude but very effective).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:37 PM   #15

Quote:
(an M42 lens that someone crazy glued to an adaptor and then cut a notch for the lens lock, crude but very effective).

"Crazy" Ira? Heck I do that to allmyM42 lens except I dont use glue. I take the spring out of the adapter ring then screw it on quite firmly then put a notch in the lens. Of course I try to cut the notch neatly.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:58 PM   #16

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
(an M42 lens that someone crazy glued to an adaptor and then cut a notch for the lens lock, crude but very effective).

"Crazy" Ira? Heck I do that to allmyM42 lens except I dont use glue. I take the spring out of the adapter ring then screw it on quite firmly then put a notch in the lens. Of course I try to cut the notch neatly.

John

I meant someone, crazy-glued..., not someone crazy, glued...

Actually I did it myself about 15 years ago for my K1000, and yes I removed the spring first by taking out the tiny screw. The set up still works perfectly on my DL.

Ira

Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:23 PM   #17

Wow!! A lot more help than I expected to get.. Not that it matters much but my questions are usually answered with a couple 3 word sentances, that don't explain much..

Individually, (note* Wrote this yesterday, some may be outdated already by other responses)

Harriet(?) Great photos of Las Vegas. Last time I was there they were building that tower. I was actually glad that you posted some, what I call, real world photos of night time.. I have to agree, the flaring, or ghosting is probably from the filter. I had a similar problem trying to use an any old UV filter on my Panasonic FZ20. A better filter did clear things up. There were other issues but the better filter went a long way. A lens hood may help as well, even at night, you never know where stray light is coming from.

Tom, I'm guessing the basic difference in your tower photo and Harriet's is the white balance? May be interesting to see if you can make yours look like hers or visa versa by adjusting just the WB.. LOVE the photo of the truck.

Ira, I've never owned any pentax lenses (Olympus OM user here) so I'm guessing that switch changes the lens itself from auto aperture (blades stop down at exposure time) to Manual (blades are stopped down all the time as the aperture is adjusted), Correct? Are ALL older pentax lenses like that or does the adapter change some Auto apertures to Manual ones by holding the slide or button that the camera uses to stop the lens down at exposure? Hope I asked that right. I know what I'm asking but do you?

RH, Still haven't had a chance to read through all your material but will shortly. You may have answered all these questions and if so, thank you in advance for making the info available to the uninformed.

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:06 PM   #18

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Ira, I've never owned any pentax lenses (Olympus OM user here) so I'm guessing that switch changes the lens itself from auto aperture (blades stop down at exposure time) to Manual (blades are stopped down all the time as the aperture is adjusted), Correct?
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
Are ALL older pentax lenses like that or does the adapter change some Auto apertures to Manual ones by holding the slide or button that the camera uses to stop the lens down at exposure?
Quote:
Unfortunately some M42 screw mount lenses are like that which means thay are to be avoided since they would only work wide open. All K-mount lenses work properly.
Quote:
Hope I asked that right. I know what I'm asking but do you?
Quote:
Perfect questions.
Quote:
Ira