Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:00 PM   #1

Hi all, Considering making the jump from Digicam to dSLR.. I've narrowed my choices down to two. The Rebel XTi (400D) or the Pentax K10D. Don't bother telling me to buy a Nikon, I'm not interested in them. Here's the preface to the question.. Pentax's hot selling point, above all else, is the Image Stablized sensor, allowing us to use ANY pentax lens on the dSLR (with limitations).. The question is, How do the older K lenses perform on the Pentax dSLR?? Stellar, Dogs, what are the opinions (yes, I know, I asked for it)... I don't own any of either type so there's no specific lens I'm asking about. Thanks,
Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:35 PM   #2

Jeff, I have a Pentax *ist DS. When I bought it I already had a few lenses for my K1000 so lens compatibility was a plus for me.

This has led to a hobby I didnt expect, I now trawl the on-line auction sites looking for any K mount or M42 (screw mount) lens and other gadgets. The real part of the hobby is getting these old lenses and cleaning them up to be useful again. There is something satisfying I cant really describe in going for a stroll along the river bank with a DSLR and 35 year old lenses they one has rescued from an uncertain future.

My experience is that these old lenses work as well on my DSLR as they would have ever done on any camera of their time.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, Considering making the jump from Digicam to dSLR.. I've narrowed my choices down to two. The Rebel XTi (400D) or the Pentax K10D. Don't bother telling me to buy a Nikon, I'm not interested in them. Here's the preface to the question.. Pentax's hot selling point, above all else, is the Image Stablized sensor, allowing us to use ANY pentax lens on the dSLR (with limitations).. The question is, How do the older K lenses perform on the Pentax dSLR?? Stellar, Dogs, what are the opinions (yes, I know, I asked for it)... I don't own any of either type so there's no specific lens I'm asking about. Thanks,
Jeff
Old lenses perform very well optically on any Pentax DSLRs, just because they are still excellent Pentax optics afterall.

However, the exposure of Pentax lenses without an Auto aperture will suffer from serious inaccurate exposure (usually underexposure) with the stop-down metering of the Pentax DSLRs, which would be another annoying issue.

To know more about different K-mount (and different Pentax lenses) on Pentax DSLR bodies, see my K-mount page:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K_...ure_Bases.html

For the exposure problem of non-Auto Pentax lenses on Pentax DSLRs, see my direct homepage link below:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/FAStar_85_1_4.html

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:58 PM   #4

RiceHigh, Thanks.. .A lot of info that I'll have to read through when I get more time.

John, I've seen that quite a bit.. I'm no stranger to restoring and cleaning older cameras, it's how I make part of my living (Rolleiflex) and intend to pay for this particular purchase. Still a few months out from doing it so I have time to gather the info.. One thing I've really noticed is that these backward compatable dSLRs have created a new market for a lot of the older stuff.. I've seen mixed reviews on it and it may just be a matter of personal taste.

I was all set to buy the K100D until I saw the Rebel XTi and had then made my decision on that one. Yesterday, staggered over here to Steve's place and saw the press release for the K10D... :? I'll make a decision someday..

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:04 PM   #5

I have no exposure issue with using my manual lenses at all - if you are interested in looking at some night photos taken with an SMC M 24mm 2.8 lens: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

These were taken with the K100D. I did find that the camera's metering system tended toexpose thescenemore than I wanted,so I used a faster shutter speed than the camera set. I'm pretty sure I would have had todo the same thing no matter what lens I was using in this situation.

Here are two pictures I took with the DS andtwo 50mm lenses, oneI got with a Pentax ME back in 1980: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=1. I didn't change the settings on these pictures at all - this is how the camera set the exposure. I know that's not very scientific, but it's been my experience.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:11 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I have no exposure issue with using my manual lenses at all - if you are interested in looking at some night photos taken with an SMC M 24mm 2.8 lens: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...22&forum_id=80

These were taken with the K100D. I did find that the camera's metering system tended to expose the scene more than I wanted, so I used a faster shutter speed than the camera set. I'm pretty sure I would have had to do the same thing no matter what lens I was using in this situation.

Here are two pictures I took with the DS and two 50mm lenses, one I got with a Pentax ME back in 1980: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=80&page=1 . I didn't change the settings on these pictures at all - this is how the camera set the exposure. I know that's not very scientific, but it's been my experience.

I notice that your pictures are composed of a large portion of dark and green objects/scenes which will cause the light meter to overexpose.. But if the camera is underexposing but itself, then the final results might be spot on :-)

With my K100D in CW mode, when I shoot on green/dark objects, I shall impose -ve compensation as I did with any of my film Pentax SLRs.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:53 PM   #7

This was taken with my 35 year old 17mm M42 Fisheye and the exposure was not an issue at all on my DS, shot in jpg.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:47 AM   #8

I read somewhere if you use an old m42 screw mount lens on a dslr with an adapter you have to shoot wide open all the time. Is that the case? You can't use the ap ring to adjust the ap? I was thinking of picking up an adapter and bidding on some of these old screw mounts on ebay. Some of them look to be quite unique lenses, but if the use is THAT limited, it might not be worth the effort.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9

As it's been explained to me (I do not own any M42's), you focus wide open, then stop down the lens (which will then darken as it's not auto-aperture on the Pentax DSLR's), press the A-EL button to have the camera set its shutter speed, and shoot.

Corrections and amplifications welcomed. :-)
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:31 AM   #10

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere if you use an old m42 screw mount lens on a dslr with an adapter you have to shoot wide open all the time. Is that the case? You can't use the ap ring to adjust the ap? I was thinking of picking up an adapter and bidding on some of these old screw mounts on ebay. Some of them look to be quite unique lenses, but if the use is THAT limited, it might not be worth the effort.
This is not the case with most m42 lenses. It works like this, Beware of M42 lenses which do not have a switch which allows them to go from an automatic aperture to a manual stop down lens. On the Pentax DSLRs it must be set on Manual. Also beware of T-mount lenses, they can be mistaken for M42 but they most certainly are not. Here are pictures of the switch I speak of.

Another item is a genuine Pentax M42 adapter (some off brands interfere with infinity focus). With this little baby you can now mount any "universal" screw mount lens including the excellent Takumar, Super Takumar and SMC Takumar lenses used in the old Spotmatic days. This includes a number of excellent lenses from companies such as Carl Zeiss (which, by the way, are now producing a new line of very expensive M42 lenses if you want excellent optical quality, but for a price, big bucks and no automation)

To use them, open the aperture all the way, focus and compose, stop down to the aperture you want (the view will darken because the aperture is stopping down), then for the most accurate exposure use the AE-L button to get in the ballpark and then use the DOF preview on the power switch, use the control dial to set the exposure at 0.0 (or whatever you need for the scene). The AE-L button sets exposure very quickly but not always very accurately, this method is generally more accurate. Using these old lenses is far less convenient but some people find that, in slowing them down it forces them to think more about their composition and thus get better shots. Not for everyone.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote