Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:32 AM   #11

Perhaps the battery grip available will have a AA magazine similar to the Canon grips?

If so that would be great because I have about 20 NiMH batteries

Damn, just as I was about to get a 30D and switch to canon this is released at a very nice price. Maybe the Canon stuff will have to wait for a bit
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:45 AM   #12

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Damn, just as I was about to get a 30D and switch to canon this is released at a very nice price. Maybe the Canon stuff will have to wait for a bit
I could see you give up Pentax for a Canon 5D but this K10D seems like it will be a match for the 30D in all major areas except possibly burst depth in RAW mode and incremental differences in other performance areas. And the SR means you won't need to invest in expensive IS lenses.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:45 PM   #13

mmmm... good point ira. It aint no entry level camera. its a beast :twisted:.
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:55 PM   #14

The AAs will just get used in my flashes.

With higher voltage, I think that the tradeoff will be faster AF and better SR, not to mention the increased shelf life and less weight to carry in extra batteries. This is a tradeoff, not a dealbreaker to me. -- nothing will be wasted. Many users have been using CRV3s to get improved performance, at about $20 a set -- that'll almost buy you a 3rd party proprietary with more capacity that's rechargeable. Not a bad deal in my book.

-- unless, of course, they find that these new batteries start exploding in people's camera bags and burning up already too rare premium Pentax lenses.:lol:

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:59 AM   #15

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
The AAs will just get used in my flashes.

With higher voltage, I think that the tradeoff will be faster AF and better SR, not to mention the increased shelf life and less weight to carry in extra batteries. This is a tradeoff, not a dealbreaker to me. -- nothing will be wasted. Many users have been using CRV3s to get improved performance, at about $20 a set -- that'll almost buy you a 3rd party proprietary with more capacity that's rechargeable. Not a bad deal in my book.

Good points here, I have two Vivitar 285 flash units that I can use these in, as well as the DL and the Fuji S7000 and the Fuji 2800z and the Optio 33L and the... hell I can keep those AAs pretty busy.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:38 PM   #16

It's a step in the right direction for Pentax. It also may be a statement that the K10D is not a prosumer point and shoot but an honest to goodness Pro quality DSLR. Still glad they are going to offer the different modes. Make Little Dawg happy. She loves shooting with the modes. I've used the same two Li-Ion batteries for the last two and a half years in my Kodak DX6490 and shot waaay over 10,000 photos with out a problemo. Just gotta keep that spare handy because you'll need it after shooting nearly 500 photos. They can last that long with out recharging. I get about the same number of shots from the battery as I can store on a 512 SD card. Works great that way. I replace the battery and the card at the same time!`I have owned a Pentax K1000 SLR for over 25 years now and since going digital with the Kodak DX6490 have wanted to move up to a DSLR for some time. The small size of the sensors and the lack of IS or as Pentax says Anti-shake plus the prohibitive cost....has prevented me from doing so. Now Pentax has finally come out with a camera I can live with and since I know their quality(remember the K1000?) I have a choice and a decision to make. Do I do it now or do I wait till after Christmas in the hopes it will (as most tech items seem to do) decrease in price???? Oh me oh My Whut tu dew whut tu dew!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:56 PM   #17

I am not happy about the move away from AA Batterys, but theres a saying"Change Happens"
Not a dealbreaker for me either. i will Get one next year. UNLESS

BK/phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:14 AM   #18

I think a Li-Ion proprietary battery is much better than AAs. I think it's a good idea for the K10D
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote