Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:55 PM   #1

After seing the k10d press release (looks like a nice camera :lol, do you think that the lithium battery pack is a good thing? or do you prefer AA's? Personally. Im split.
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

I am not sure what you mean by keep buying AA batteries, since I am still using the same 8 AA rechargeable I bought a year ago.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3

. I forgot about rechargeables. Sorry, my bad. well forget about what i said there.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:07 AM   #4

I am kinda disappointed that they dropped the AA battery from the Pentax dSLR line. I would trade in my DS in a heart beat when it comes out, but I think I might wait for a while or even until the next K10D comes out. If I dont have my DS, I wouldnt really care but my DS does everything that I need so there is no big hurry for me to replace it.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:12 AM   #5

It is a shame. Although i dont have a Pentax dslr i stil thought it would be cool.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:25 AM   #6

Sorry, this discussion does not lead anywhere... But as of primary question- yes I am very happy! Why? Just some simple points (just heading to cycling...):
1. I charge when I want and as much I want- AAs: charge after full discharge and then to full;
2. When charged they retain charge much longer than NiMHs: remember- fetch "freshly" charged AAs from bag and oops- so few pics- and then user quote- I charged them fully 10 days ago :-(

OK there are several other pro et contra things but they have been discussed on forums from alpha to omega...

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

It is a bombshell that the batt (K10D) is not that proprietory at all

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20046631

According to this fellow, it also takes Sony prop battery ( LI-50 battery).

If Pentax has that thinking, why not they also use the most popular batt Canon 511? If that is so, a lot of Canon users about to jum ship may have less worries about accessories.

Nonetheless I would say hurrah for Pentax

Daniel, Toronto
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong

hoodsa wrote:
Quote:
After seing the k10d press release (looks like a nice camera :lol, do you think that the lithium battery pack is a good thing? or do you prefer AA's? Personally. Im split.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:57 AM   #8

Sorry i guess it is a bit pointless. Although it is interesting to know what people think.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:57 AM   #9

I would say this batt is next best after AAs of course.
But Lit batt does provide longer staying power and there is a limit when Pentax has to forego AAs.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:12 AM   #10

I don't like the change but I see its necessity. This is at least a semi-pro camera, it must offer the higher capacity of a Li-ion battery to compete, even battery changing is much simpler when you just have to switch one battery instead of juggling and orienting 4. An amateur photographer at my level appreciated the low cost of the AA NiMH cells, but if I were moving up to more paying jobs, like weddings, I would probably appreciate the Li-ion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote