Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:39 AM   #1

Greetings all, Is it possible to "batch process" RAW pics in the current Photo Lab 3?

Thanks in advance!
PentaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2

Yes, I just choose the RAW files and click save. I am sorry but I don't have time for more details now, I am sure someone else will be more specific. At least this bumps you to the top again.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks Monza76, hopefully someone else will chime in. I guess I fail to see the purpose of batch processing RAW files unless it a simple auto improvement function.

My understanding of RAW processing is being able to individually alter camera data far and above a simple jpeg "touch- up" program.

Ergo each would be a separate entity unto itself, so why batch process?

Am I missing something, photog for some 40 years, but obviously new to this digital stuff, just bought a 100D w/ kit lens.

PentaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

PentaxDan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Monza76, hopefully someone else will chime in. I guess I fail to see the purpose of batch processing RAW files unless it a simple auto improvement function.

My understanding of RAW processing is being able to individually alter camera data far and above a simple jpeg "touch- up" program.

Am I missing something, photog for some 40 years, but obviously new to this digital stuff, just bought a 100D w/ kit lens.

If you have taken a number of shots in the same lighting you may find that after adjusting one or two you can apply that adjustment to all of the others and then just redo any that do not meet your requirements.

Ira
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5

I'll second Ira's comment - recently I took lots of photos on a trip to Yosemite, with some needing the same adjustments, while others didn't (and they weren't not consecutive). I used Pentax's photo browser to choose ones that looked like they needed similar adjustments, then processed them together, skipping those that weren't the same.

However, unless I've taken a whole bunch of photos, I'll do each individually (what I prefer to do).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:39 AM   #6

PentaxDan wrote:
Quote:

Welcome to the Friendly Pentax Forum, Dan!

I agree with your point. Who ever "batch copied" a roll of negatives? The point to me was, and is in the digital darkroom as well, to pick the few exposures worth the effort and do my best to get the most out of them.

Batch converting is handy though when mother-in-law thinks that all the pics of her grandchildren are marvellous and wants a copy even of thoseI think are only blurry coloured fields. In that situation (it does occur) I also use Ira's way to go.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:06 AM   #7

I'd say that "batch processing" could also mean adjusting each photo with indivdual settings one by one and adding it to a queue, then hitting "proccess" and walk away for 10mins while it creates all the JPGs.
Thats the way ACR works and I find it's alot quicker as you can do something else while all the processing is being done.

I find Photolab to be very frustrating if I want to process more than 1-2 photos.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:28 AM   #8

One related comment though, if you haven't updated yet it may be a good idea to give Photo Lab 3 a try. There are more options now and it seems a little easier to get the results you want since they based it on Silkypix (it even seems to load faster on my 2.50GHz Celeron (I know, not exactly a photographers delight computer).

Ira
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:49 AM   #9

I've been using photolab 3 for a couple of weeks now and am getting used to it. I've found the processed results better than that of ACR which I used for my DS. I rarely have to sharpen any photos, whereas in ACR, I always had to boost the USM. Probably because the camera profile is imbedded in lab3. I imagine the other pentax cameras are as well. I never batch process. Do each photo individually as when shooting, I'm constantly fiddling with EV and ISO settings. Even the NR is useful. Much better than the last photolab. That version did nothing but crash when I tried to use it. Totally useless it was.......cheers....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote