Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

i was in mathers of lancashire today, looking at the above camera, he claims this camera has a dust removal system built in, is this correct, ?i have not seen this in the reviews, he is a pentax dealer, he should know, shouldnt he? camera £479, is this a good price, ? thanks for any help offered

alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:09 AM   #2

I have not seen any reference to dust reduction on the K100D. There have been comments to the effect that the SR system may help shake off some dust but these were just off-hand comments with no basis in fact. The K100D is a good buy and does have the shake reduction but it does not have a dust removal system that I am aware of.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:28 AM   #3

thank you ira, alan
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4

Dust removal is not mentioned in any of the literature that came with my K100D (trust me, read it all).* Again, as Ira said, the SR system may have the added side affect of shaking off the dust (similar to K10D I suppose) but it hasn't really been tested; and I don't want to be the one to cover my sensor with dust and see if it gets shaken off!* I have gotten one spec but it was easily blown off with my turkey baster (the blower I have is mildly pathetic).*The camera is very good and I've been having fun.* It's a recomended buy from me.
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:41 PM   #5

thanks for reading and responding, seems like another dealer trying to sell because i raised the question,thanks, alan
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:11 PM   #6

My K100D came with a piece of dust on the sensor and didn't go away when I turned it off and on a number of times the first day I had it (it was easily blown away with a handblower after I looked at the pictures on the computer). So my experience is that the SR doesn't vibrate the sensor enough to knock off the dust.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:12 PM   #7

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I have not seen any reference to dust reduction on the K100D. There have been comments to the effect that the SR system may help shake off some dust but these were just off-hand comments with no basis in fact. The K100D is a good buy and does have the shake reduction but it does not have a dust removal system that I am aware of.

Ira
The SR motion is not fast enough and vigorous enough in any sense to shade off the dust. Even if they can be shaded off, which from my practical experience has never happened, there is no adhersive tape underneath the CCD to stick the dust.

Forget about the untrue claim of DR in K100D. The DR of K100D is just an air-blower!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:

Ira
The SR motion is not fast enough and vigorous enough in any sense to shade off the dust. Even if they can be shaded off, which from my practical experience has never happened, there is no adhersive tape underneath the CCD to stick the dust.

Forget about the untrue claim of DR in K100D. The DR of K100D is just an air-blower!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
I believe you just repeated exactly what I had said.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:11 PM   #9

Deep inside the menu, under "Setup" is a setting called "sensor cleaning". This is a mirror lock-up feature for when you manually clean the sensor. Perhaps this is what the dealer was referring to.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:52 PM   #10

He may be confused with the new K10. I believe it has a dust removal system.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote