Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:10 PM   #1

I am going to tell you how much it costs later on. It is just rubbing alcohol

The spatula is cut 16mm - the height of the sensor

Also I found out that if you use any compressed air, you can avoid freezeup by allowing the container to rest say 20 minutes before use. The key thing is that you should move the camera in getting rid of sensor dust not the compressed air can. I tried it and definitely it does not freeze up which makes it a very reliable and powerful dust removal tool.

Daniel

Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

Daniel

Thanks for the tip. I have had problems trying to clean the sensor on my DL. I just can not seem to get rid of all the dust specs. If your method does not work I need to send it in for professional help
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:34 PM   #3

got my kit here
http://www.micro-tools.com/
this is it.
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/it...de=DIGI-KIT4-F

roy
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:37 PM   #4

andeverybody should read this
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

roy
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5

Just to put my 2 cents worth in.A couple months ago, I found I had dust on my sensor and in my rush to try and clean it, I used Kodak lens cleaning fluid and Q-tips. I ended up with a smeared sensor that was worse then when I started. I am only saying this, so maybe you won't make the same dumb mistake I did trying to rush into doing this without the right gear.

I then ordered the sensor cleaning kit Roy talks about above and also picked up a foot blower for blowing up inflatable boats or air matresses at a local discount store for under $10.00. I can only say this made everything like new again and the cleaning fluid in the kit evaporates rapidly leaving a clean sensor. One word of caution. I found that only 3 drops of the cleaningfluid are needed to do a good job, one at the left, center and right of the cleaning swap. I found it is very easy to wrap the Pec-Pads on the spatula and put a piece of tape to hold them. After I clean the sensor, I use the same Pec-Pad swab to give the LCD a quick cleaning.

The information Roy has given above isright onand this company is very good to deal with. I highly recommend going this route.Sensor cleaning isthe one thing you have to learn and put up with in a DSLR if you change lenses quite often. If you've ever seen the sun shining through a window and seen the dust it illuminates, you know what I mean- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:48 AM   #6

Does the sensor in the *ist have a protective filter that covers it like the D50 does ?
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

The answer is yes, you are actually cleaning a filter the covers the sensor. That is another reason you don't want to get your swab to wet. You don't want any solution to get under this filter onto the sensor itself. You are actually only cleaning the filter - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:04 PM   #8

Good. I used to use one of the scotch tapes on my D50 and that was fine and perhaps the cheapest ways of doing the job.

I can't remember which tape is was (only one type would work without leaving a residue)but I still hve some in myphoto box.

There was a poster called lionheart on the Nilon DP Review forums who suggested it.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:12 PM   #9

I have just checked it out - I usedScotch Tape (810) as recommended by the poster. It was fine on my D50 - I will still hold my breath when I try it on my Samsung though - it is rather a leap of faith.

There has obviosly been quite a bit of experimentation with DIY sensor cleaning but mostly to the cost of the experimentor i would imagine.

If I use the tape on the Samsung (I don't need to yet), i will report the results bck here.

Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:37 PM   #10

norm, using adhesive tape gives me the willies.. i will however research it. can you supply a link??

roy