Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:23 AM   #11

Daniel Thanks. Those shots really made me want to be there. Guess this is an annual - I'll be checking into it for next year - doesn't have to be Hogtown - SW Ontario if there are any.

Again thanks - the colurs are great.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:07 PM   #12

Thanks Tom, Ron, Mtngal, Kjell, Tim, nlp239

nlp239,
The story goes like this. The last few years the Kitfest had not been that successful. And the sponsor Aircanada refused to sponsor the game and almost free tickets for prof kite flyers worldwide (key attractions used to be from Scandinavia and Japan). Subsequently the non-profit group running this festival has been in difficulties.
So this year only two prof kit flyers from the US (OH & Mich) and one from Montreal showed up .
Saturday Sep 16, no large kit could fly as there was not enough wind. A grand total of one other member of the Toronto photo club (TPMG) bothered to come Sept 16 only to be disappointed.
I went Sept 17 only because the venue was 10 minutes drive for me and I knew what it is capable of. For two times all the large monster kites were up I think 15 minutes . That was about it.
Imagine several guys driving a minivan packed with a monster kite and equipment for 10 hours for the occasion hoping that will give them short time of great fun. You need to be really fanatical. And of course as can be seen from the pict above, they have been hugely rewarded.
Later on some of the members of the Toronto Photo Club blamed me for not reminding them about the occasion. I said to them it was really erratic (given the last few yrs of poor show-up and performance). And very likely they could have wasted a whole afternoon looking at the sky without one decent kite.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:01 AM   #13

Daniel, that's what photography is all about after-all. You show up and get nothing, you wait and wait and get that one GREAT shot.

And, your buddies expect to be reminded???? What a bunch of...

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the pixAND the explanation for the event - wish them luck and hope they don't cancel these type of events.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:17 AM   #14

This is great!
Wish I had not missed it, had to work :sad:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:52 AM   #15

Peter,

Thanks for looking. I was not aware that another Torontonian with only Canon gear and over 2500 posts would chime in this forum. About to jump ship? That would have been more than welcome.

Daniel

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
This is great!
Wish I had not missed it, had to work :sad:

ps the attached shows the start up when wind speed was picking up. Very colorful
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:50 PM   #16

Not likely to jump ship too much capital invested in Canon. But not averse to adding another camera brand to the pile if I can find a way (real or imaginary) to make it pay for itself.
The K10D has features that make it look to be very promising:idea:
For me the most interesting featrues are the weather resistant body and self cleaning sensor.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote