Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:09 PM   #1

Mike Johnston et al at the OnLine photographer blog site have some interesting discussion about the fact that Pentax is the only DSLR manufacturer with three new digital prime lenses covering moderate wide angle, normal andshort telephoto ranges. Apparently there are still some people out there who are not totally enamoured with zoom lenses. The "Canikon" (term used at http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/) crowd have lots of older primes and a couple of new fast lenses, but not a three lens "kit". Olympus is really at a loss since there are no Zuiko primes except big expensive tele lenses and macros.

Nice to see Pentax get some positive attention lately.

Wish I had the budget for the new lenses, guess I will have to settle for older models that fit my price-range.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:17 PM   #2

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Wish I had the budget for the new lenses, guess I will have to settle for older models that fit my price-range.

Ira
It's just that lots of people are discovering those older lenses now, so prices on ebay are going through the roof! Maybe we should stop telling everyone how wonderful these cameras are so the prices of used lenses will go back to affordable levels.

On the other hand, you are right, it is nice to see the press saying some nice things about Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3

funny, i was just at my local camera shop. happened to pick up a pentax-a f1.7 for $30! see they're going on ebay for $60-70, so i'm gonna throw it up there, use that money to subsidize the purchase of the pentax-F f1.7 auto they had for $45! i'm assuming that is a more sought-after lens, which one is in fact better? i'll sell the best one i guess!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

The only difference is that the F version has auto focus, the A version is manual. Otherwise they are equal.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:00 AM   #5

There were two *300mm changing hand at ebay last weekend. Price went through the roof of course and a fellow from down under got it.
Even supply from Ebay has dried up given the popularity of K100D and K10D. Price of foolproof Pentax prime , particularly teleprime, can only go up if Pentax still withholds releasing DA teleprime.

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's just that lots of people are discovering those older lenses now, so prices on ebay are going through the roof! Maybe we should stop telling everyone how wonderful these cameras are so the prices of used lenses will go back to affordable levels.

On the other hand, you are right, it is nice to see the press saying some nice things about Pentax.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6

When the *istD was out, a FA* 300 Pentax lens could be had on ebay for $300, now due to the success of the Pentax DSLR line, you can't touch one for under $1,000, which is $300 more than it cost me when I got mine new.

We had a secret, but it is out now and the prices for good glass will do nothing but go up.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:59 PM   #7

Tom,

There is an A*300mm Pentax 645 at eBAY. I am sure it is a piece of good glass. With 18 bids it is still under $90. The last bid resulted around $200 if I am correct.
Should anybody buy that hoping that 645D will come out shortly or in two yrs?
A lot of these price are fixed by circumstance.

Daniel

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
When the *istD was out, a FA* 300 Pentax lens could be had on ebay for $300, now due to the success of the Pentax DSLR line, you can't touch one for under $1,000, which is $300 more than it cost me when I got mine new.

We had a secret, but it is out now and the prices for good glass will do nothing but go up.

Tom
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:25 PM   #8

An interesting thought occured to me - I've heard (but don't have any direct knowledge) that you can use 645 lenses on the digital cameras using an adaptor. What does that do to the focal length perception? Since regular 35mm lenses on the dSLR has a field of view longer than 35mm film cameras, would the 645 lenses be even longer? Or is this a dumb question?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:41 PM   #9

here's another dumb question:

why is pentax not releasing new teleprimes?

its probably been talked about but i never clued in on discussions about this. i was thinking about getting a longer prime but cant beleive the prices they are going for on the auction sites.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
There were two *300mm changing hand at ebay last weekend. Price went through the roof of course and a fellow from down under got it.
Even supply from Ebay has dried up given the popularity of K100D and K10D. Price of foolproof Pentax prime , particularly teleprime, can only go up if Pentax still withholds releasing DA telepri
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:23 AM   #10

Funny you should ask, here is a shot with a A* 300mm 645 lens on my DS.

The focal length is still 300mm (that never changes) but the crop factor is much greater than a 300mm 35mm film lens would be on the DS. The 645 adapter only allows MF on the DS since no lens iformation can be transmitter through the adapter.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote